Garmin ????

fin-addict

update, saga continues. Short and sweet. New refurbished head unit arrived today. As stated a dv not cv as they have none. Opened box, all paperwork states refurbished EchoMap chirp 74dv. Looked at unit, faceplate says cv. Checked back of unit, cv. Think Garmin has lost it.

called WM product wty to update SN on the extended policy I purchased. Unit was never registered as I was told it was. Now need to send copies of ALL receipts and paperwork so unit can be registered.

Life is good. 🙃fin

It is not being considered as wty. Just a head swap by Garmin directly. Wty involved just to register it in the event down the road. Would sell it but everything already installed incl trans. Boat kept in water, no trailer and flush mounted. Already had to have a starboard plate made to old gps that was taken out. Have new software update and g3 mapping so already to install.

pissed is not the word. Just want it over and done and move on. More important things in life than this.

• Like 1

I am amazed at how much pain so many Garmin users such as yourself are willing to endure hoping for change and improvements at Garmin marine that never come.   Bring some Xanax on your first couple of trips.  When you get all up and going and head out for a spin past Bird Key and Long Island and under I75 and over to the SR 42 bridge through all of the markers through those banks near the highway and you look at your brand new screen with the g3 and see all of the markers are wrong and the photos look like a nightmare and you cant see any of the shallow banks and realize that is what you will be looking at for years to come the Xanax will help.  

2 hours ago, George Seither said:

Lowrance?? 

Seems to me it would be much better than any Garmin for any boat that runs most of the time near land.  Really most any Navico machine would be because they provide the most options.  But it doesn't have much to do with the unit but rather the charts that are supported.  Garmin has the worst maps known to man with no options.   I suffered with it for years before finally ripping all the Garmin stuff  out of the boat.   Never  looked back and very happy I did.  From a boaters perspective that wants options, Garmin is the worst choice you can make because you have no chart options other than worst one on the market.  Whats funny is you could still run a Garmin owned map on a Lowrance if you wanted along with a number of others. 

Really disappointing to see Maverick continue to push that equipment to their dealers when it is the least effective for most of their  boat customers and creates all of the user frustration as noted above and in other threads.  If you read the blogs you cant find anyone except those that run way out in the ocean that are really happy with the maps and there are tons of threads going back for years complaining about them. Why push to deliver equipment to your end customers that create this problem for so many?  Makes no sense.  Same thing for the engines.  They seem to prefer one engine mfg only and if you want something other than that it seems to be the cause of a lot of constipation and friction.  Dealers are forced to order the boats naked if they want to switch.  Yamahas are great but the parts are 3x as much as some others which are also very good.   Bottom line is customers appreciate lots of options and if you purposely limit the options that are important to many, you limit yourselves right out of lots of business weather you realize it or not and even alienate some people who may take offense to the policy that clearly ignores the customer's interest.

While updating my 2 e-cards at Standard Mapping last year Glen showed me what he had been working on for Garmin Units on e-cards and apparently has figured them out, I looked at a test unit he had last year on the sat imaging e-card on a Garmin and he had it smoking they were working on the clarity at that time, apparently they have figured it out, his site shows entire Gulf Coast Coverage as well as East Cost Coverage for Florida may help with Garmin Units, I currently run two Lowrance Units ( Elite TI 7 and 9) with Louisiana One E-Card and I'm a believer

23 hours ago, Skinny Running said:

I am amazed at how much pain so many Garmin users such as yourself are willing to endure hoping for change and improvements at Garmin marine that never come.   Bring some Xanax on your first couple of trips.  When you get all up and going and head out for a spin past Bird Key and Long Island and under I75 and over to the SR 42 bridge through all of the markers through those banks near the highway and you look at your brand new screen with the g3 and see all of the markers are wrong and the photos look like a nightmare and you cant see any of the shallow banks and realize that is what you will be looking at for years to come the Xanax will help.  

On Xanax already !!!.

Glad it works for you but I've seen the Standard and thought it was really poor.  I borrowed a neighbors chip.  Not true color imagery.   Poor quality and all dull blue or grey looking and not high res.  Goes all fuzzy when zoomed.  Cant use it to find most fishing places and photos are not sufficient to know where to run and where not to run unless its a main channel.  And whatever marker detail is provided is poor or generally not accurate.  I run the ISLA LMT in LA and its 100x better.  I can zoom to 50' with clarity with real imagery and it has all the stakes and posts and all inshore platforms and structure marked to the foot plus about 2000 miles of lines to follow all over the place.  No comparison.

Last week was sent a g3 update card ending in -82. Yesterday received another ending in -87. Called Garmin, said to use -87 due to its updates. Cannot believe an update within 1 week. Absurd. New unit install and up and running with all new update, still not as good as other units on market but can live with it. Told Garmin to get their act together. No one seems to know what is going on in their house, lol. Very sad. 😱fin

Ok, I will. Just took out for run. Pleased with the -87 g3 update. Way more detail than g2 and older g3 but only saw that one at dock. This will do fine imo. Loved the enhanced detail, but no longer a Garmin fan.

off topic,

took her out after be on the hard for three weeks for bottom paint, complete engine maintenance and gps install. Normally runs wot at 5400-5500 @ 41.3. - 42.3. Today 5700 @ 44.5 very impressed. And that is with everything my signature shows, t-top tower and bottom paint. Happy camper. 

🙂🙂😎Fin

if anyone has questions as to the -87 g3 msg. me. Will go over the best I can

I am also becoming a unGarmin person. I have always known how bad the Garmin charts were, but when I purchased my 1900, it already had a Garmin installed. I was just easier at the time to upgrade the size of the unit and keep the transducer. My last 2 boats had Lowrance (upgraded from Garmin on both). I am constantly fighting an intermittent shut down after hitting choppy water. And it doesn't have to be very choppy. I believe the culprit is the incredibly poor design of the plug in power cord on the back of the unit. I can't believe they didn't put a threaded, screw-in style connector similar to what Lowrance/SIMRAD has. I had to apply some clear silicone sealant when installed just to keep the cord from falling out. I am on the prowl for a good 9" Lowrance or SIMRAD. The Navionics mapping software is pretty good. 

It all depends what your looking for in a gps. Garmin with the new software update 4.3 and the recent mapping update ending in -87 is a vast improvement from what they had. You can adjust shading and contours to your liking along with many other standard features. Just make sure you get one with the newest upgrades and it is not going to be a discontinued product in a very short time. Most like the simrad units better. Garmin needs to get their act together in a lot of ways. Tech support is very good, but this will be the last unit from Garmin I will have. Good bang for the bucks. My unit, 74cv ha screw in with twist locks the plung into the power backing plate the the head unit snaps into. If you bracket mount the head unit snaps out. If flush mounted it cannot be taken out as the bottom hinges are hidden inside the console. Just something to be aware of. It is simple to operate and can be all programmed to your liking in a few minutes.

First I would look for what detailed charts are available for your area to your liking and see what electronics will run it, I chose Lowrance Elite TI 7 for the mud boat for duck hunting running tight canals and skinny water and a TI 9 for the 2300 HPS both with Standard Mapping Louisiana One E-Map they work well for me , looked at the HDS models but didn't need all of the functionality since I have no plans on radar or Sat. Weather Info, on the Elite series so far so good no issues yet. Hope this helps

On 3/29/2019 at 8:29 PM, Skinny Running said:

Seems to me it would be much better than any Garmin for any boat that runs most of the time near land.  Really most any Navico machine would be because they provide the most options.  But it doesn't have much to do with the unit but rather the charts that are supported.  Garmin has the worst maps known to man with no options.   I suffered with it for years before finally ripping all the Garmin stuff  out of the boat.   Never  looked back and very happy I did.  From a boaters perspective that wants options, Garmin is the worst choice you can make because you have no chart options other than worst one on the market.  Whats funny is you could still run a Garmin owned map on a Lowrance if you wanted along with a number of others. 

Really disappointing to see Maverick continue to push that equipment to their dealers when it is the least effective for most of their  boat customers and creates all of the user frustration as noted above and in other threads.  If you read the blogs you cant find anyone except those that run way out in the ocean that are really happy with the maps and there are tons of threads going back for years complaining about them. Why push to deliver equipment to your end customers that create this problem for so many?  Makes no sense.  Same thing for the engines.  They seem to prefer one engine mfg only and if you want something other than that it seems to be the cause of a lot of constipation and friction.  Dealers are forced to order the boats naked if they want to switch.  Yamahas are great but the parts are 3x as much as some others which are also very good.   Bottom line is customers appreciate lots of options and if you purposely limit the options that are important to many, you limit yourselves right out of lots of business weather you realize it or not and even alienate some people who may take offense to the policy that clearly ignores the customer's interest.

Interesting for sure...  There are numerous reasons, first Garmin.  We offer limited electronics from the factory as the choices are vast and numerous.  As we all know this technology changes every week, from a manufacturing standpoint we cannot offer numerous different electronics, just does not make sense.  We do not push the Garmin product on dealers or customers.  I will say I find the Garmin the easiest to use, some of the others take a Mechanical Engineering degree to operate. 

Somewhat the same with engines, Yamaha is the most widely used and the choice for most.  We have tried others on numerous occasions, simply does not work for us from a manufacturing standpoint.  Again, we do offer blank transoms if someone wants a different engine breed.

Skip   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, slyshon said:

..., from a manufacturing standpoint we cannot offer numerous different electronics, just does not make sense.

Skip   

Please explain because it makes perfect sense to me.  I have installed many  GPS's over the years on different boats and putting in 9" GPS "a" vs. 9" GPS "b" and using a different power cord makes no difference to me and one vs. another takes about the same time  and effort.   To suggest it's a big mfg. hassle seems ridiculous.  It's is no more so than installing Goodyears vs. Firestones.  It's just a rectangular box and a power cord.  I know you have a good reason for it, but clearly you have not been totally forthcoming about what that reason really is.  

36 minutes ago, Egrets Landing said:

Please explain because it makes perfect sense to me.  I have installed many  GPS's over the years on different boats and putting in 9" GPS "a" vs. 9" GPS "b" and using a different power cord makes no difference to me and one vs. another takes about the same time  and effort.   To suggest it's a big mfg. hassle seems ridiculous.  It's is no more so than installing Goodyears vs. Firestones.  It's just a rectangular box and a power cord.  I know you have a good reason for it, but clearly you have not been totally forthcoming about what that reason really is.  

Ohh BOY !! Here we go again.

• Like 1

Garmin.... back in the day, the combination of its mapping software and coordination of WAAS, literally running at night I had a mate on the forward seat with a spot light to mark the signs.  After a few days, I stopped doing the light confirmation and simply relied on the mapping software.  My last Garmin was a 3010C, after that I went initially with Furono, but have now settled with SIMRAD.

11 hours ago, Egrets Landing said:

A bit different than tires I can assure you, very similar to gelcoat colors.  We offer 6 "standard" colors per year because that is what our system will handle.  Offering more options enlists more work for everyone including sales, marketing, purchasing, manufacturing, dealers etc.   As I stated earlier, the electronics technology changes weekly if not daily, really hard to keep up with.  A great example is today's Garmin who are in the midst of changing the 76 series units to 86 series, this means many changes for us in manufacturing as our system is set up to handle the 76 series.  Now we have to reprogram our console cuts, acrylic panels, etc not to mention our standard install practices.  

Skip 

• Like 3