Garmin ????

fin-addict

6 hours ago, fin-addict said:

FMT not helping this at all.  My feelings are there are way too many series of gps units on the market, even more so since they change and update almost daily. KNOW I am going to get flack on this post so take your best shot, lol. 😀😀😀 fin

I suppose if you are a Garmin dealer FMT surely is no help but its surely not a big issue for them either.  Nevertheless, we are definitely here to help anyone who asks and we have provided a lot of help and solved the frustrations of many inshore boaters over the years in very substantive ways and also aided in protecting the environment, saving many lower units, and even aided in hurricane recovery efforts by sponsoring events and helped people find some fish and run new areas too.   I don't think we have any negative press and that is saying something in today's environment.  To date we have wonderful press and that goes back for years by a plethora of boaters who finally got their map wishes filled.  Over the last six months, ISLA has converted on average 3.5 Garmin users every day.  We will convert over 1,000 of them  just this year and quite of few of those to date were on Pathfinders and Hewes.   That is a lot of unsatisfied Garmin users and many of them post right here in this forum.  I have spoken with lots of them and I field calls and get emails from them every day.   That said, the Garmin complaints for the most part have very little to do with the units themselves.  There are some power cord attachment complaints but for most the units themselves all work fine and the boaters are generally satisfied with the machines.  At each price point, I find the machines at the various manufacturers are all approximately equal in terms of what they can do.  Mostly minor differences and user preferences.  But these boaters are willing to make the switch because they find the unit isn't very useful to them because they find the  charts that run in them are poor in several different key respects and they can't get the information out of them they are looking to see.   I could rattle off a laundry list of issues that they complain about that ISLA completely fixed but that is a different discussion.  But the bottom line is these folks make the switch every day because they find the Garmin controlled maps  don't get the job done and are even dangerous to use in some areas.  That is just the way it is for them and it is their truth.  They didn't get the job done for me either so I totally get it.  It is the latent reason the ISLA charts were created in the first place - to address this very substantive shortcoming in the market. And the market has reacted very positively to it because it does deliver the information as advertised and fixes most of the chart complaints.  If there wasn't a problem for these Garmin owners we would not be converting them every day and they would not be spending literally thousands of dollars  in many cases just to lose their Garmin equipment.  But they do it every week and that speaks for itself.

With respect to your assertion that there are too many machines out there and it's too complicated, I am sorry but I think that is a very short-sighted thing to say and I think you should re think that whole thing.  From a consumers perspective, it is never a good thing to have very limited purchase options.  Limited options creates higher prices and also generally inferior products.  Competition and many options is always the best thing for consumers.  It is always best to have more options.  If you didn't have all of these manufacturers coming up with new gps gadgets every year, the improvements you would have access to would be few at best.  The more gps units the better, the more cars the better, the more TVs the better, the more insurance companies the better, the more boats the better, the more fishing lures the better, and the more maps the better it is for everyone.  Consumers, perhaps yourself excluded, generally appreciate a wide variety of choices in consumer products and that will never be a bad thing.    

I have been following this  post and understand both aspects. 

If you have been in any manufacturing process it is easy to understand keeping it simple. The labor force is  not what it used to be and it is likely that the person installing any part of a product has no understanding of its use and simplicity is his best friend. Why do you think the dealer wants a turn key product, he probably can't find capable help either. 

Personally I prefer to do all of my own improvements but there are times that the factory  must install items. When available a factory should use transducers and such that have multiple use options. 

Go back to Henry Ford and you will see the origins of keeping it simple and why.

32 minutes ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Will FMT ever be available for the Garmin platform , or am I just dreaming ?

🇺🇸☠️

We would love to Outlaw.  It's really a question that is best posed to them.   We are not running with Garmin not because we would not like to but because they have to want us to help them grow and retain customers and to date that has not been their preference.  I think they would benefit greatly by having ISLA along with many others around the world who create detailed cartography.  Maps matter and the more options the better I say.  But it seems they prefer to completely control the maps.  That works just fine for some as noted above who are perhaps old school diehards but it thoroughly disappoints many others who do make the switch as a result.

Go fish sometime with someone who runs ISLA on their Lowrance or Simrad and soon we may also be helping you.  It's a very different experience from what you are used to - I can promise you that.   We will be chasing the tarpon and permit around the keys all of May and June and updating all of the new markers being installed in ENP while working to avoid disturbing the working guides as much as possible as we mark changes.  We will be running everywhere from Marquesas to Biscayne Bay.  If you want to see it in action in your home waters let me know.  My average day running is about 120 miles so bring some soft shoes.

Officially letting you know .

Soft Science shoes on feet as we speak .

You lost me on the switch by saying it would not work very well on a 7” unit and 9” would all but make it impossable to see over the top .

Actually , I emailed FMT twice , to price a package deal , heard they offered a discount , but never got a reply .

🇺🇸☠️

• Like 1

We offer 20% off the charts if you buy a new 9" unit or larger from us.  We don't do it on the 7"s and for most do not recommend them as the screen res is inferior and the small units are much harder to see and also to use.  Lots of people run them but most who do agree bigger would be better.  It would definitely work better than what you have with respect to the chart detail but what happens is you get it and then you start regretting the smaller screen.  9" is much better and with a 12 you can really see everything well.  It's not just a navigation tool.  People use it to scout holes on flats etc.  The resolution makes a difference with higher quality imagery.  It would make no difference with the low res imagery like you find on Navionics.  Those photos look the same on all of the units regardless of how capable the screen is. With ISLA, the more capable your screen is the better the photos appear and the happier you are on the water. Not once has anyone ever called or wrote us and advised.. hey this unit is just too *** big.  I have to go to a 7".  But the opposite happens every week around here.  We even have some people running 16's now on 18-20' inshore rigs.  They do it because they can see everything with it.  The res on the 16's is twice that of a 12 and it is pretty crazy to see in action I must say.  Its really easy to get used to.

9 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Officially letting you know .

Soft Science shoes on feet as we speak .

You lost me on the switch by saying it would not work very well on a 7” unit and 9” would all but make it impossable to see over the top .

Actually , I emailed FMT twice , to price a package deal , heard they offered a discount , but never got a reply .

🇺🇸☠️

Ralph my console is the same as yours and the 9” does not obstruct my view in any way. Now my seat cushion sits on top of the deck which may be the reason. You probably have the folding seat and that does make you sit lower cause I remember that was the issue on my RF18 which I solved by sitting on the bench seat with a PFD on it. 

You are only $150 into that Garmin they sent you....it still worth the switch.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Coto said:

Ralph my console is the same as yours and the 9” does not obstruct my view in any way. Now my seat cushion sits on top of the deck which may be the reason. You probably have the folding seat and that does make you sit lower cause I remember that was the issue on my RF18 which I solved by sitting on the bench seat with a PFD on it. 

You are only $150 into that Garmin they sent you....it still worth the switch.

Could not agree with tou more , but in rhe last six months

new motor

guages

two props

sea dek in lockers

new livewell pumps

ceramic coating ...

Im gonna have to let it just remain a wet dream for now .

This BOAT ( mistress) has taxed my wallet to the extreme .

Still want it though .

😬

1 hour ago, conocean said:

Will FMT work on an iPad w/gps capabilities? Sorry if this is a silly question or if this has been covered in another thread. 

Ipads run off cell towers if they have a chip....once you loose your cell tower localization system, you would not have the ability to use the tracking as accurately as required by a FMT chip.

On my SIMRAD or even a Lowrance, they are using 8 or so satellites, if I remember correctly for accuracy.

dc

1 minute ago, fin-addict said:

Outlaw, agree with big change to docks and piling. It now also shows a bridge over a canal where before it showed going over land and no bridge. Like the most recent update.

Wait till you hook up Active Captain .

Thats a real nice rool .

Way better than the navionics app , on my phone or Ipad .

🇺🇸☠️

I've run the Park on a buddies skiff with the FMT chip.  It has great features and amazing detail. If I fished the park or shallow areas, I would have it.

However, I fish in water over four feet deep. For bottom machines, Furuno has been the gold standard. The GPS/Fishfinder units have advanced so much and so quickly. Many have features I can't figure out, and/or I don't need.  Hard to select the best unit.  I am old.. I need to K.I.S.S.

ENP has 800 SQ miles of water and estuaries.. However, Garmin is a global provider, and the needs of a relatively tiny group of boaters is not compelling to them.

Buy a Simrad then. Nice sets !!

As a Mod..  Opinions are welcomed, and essential for our members to benefit from others' experiences. Please be considerate to the other members. If you say 'Garmins are crap', you disrespect Garmin owners here. Have a polite opinion.

Skip all the freedom of speech and Berkley forum rhetoric. We do not tolerate personal conflicts or troll posts. 

M

• Like 3

Wow.... it’s hard to believe grown men with a common liking ( fish) are arguing like a bunch of school kids about which electronic device is better for their boats. I’m 63 years old with a USCG 100 GT Master license and have Captained boats from 15 ft to 103 ft since 1978 to include running bar pilot boats , Sportfish yachts, trawlers, flats boats, bay boats, inshore, offshore, etc. It started out with a COMPASS. Later came LORAN and a paper chart recorder ( yes... we thought it was the greatest invention since the compass ) Today’s electronics are truly amazing and are continually being updated ( as in all electronic devices ) The new GPS’s can get you within a 4 ft square at 100 miles offshore. You guys need to buy whatever you like, learn to use it and go fishing. This forum is a great opportunity to share information and help one another with DIY projects, or share some fishing pics, or performance questions and answers, etc, but we all should be gentlemen enough to respect each other and just thank THE LORD we can all can have a boat and go fishing. 

If any of you think your navigation device is bad....take it out and go back to using your COMPASS. After about two trips you’ll be re-installing the unit no matter what brand it is.  Enough said, JJ

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/3/2019 at 12:57 AM, FMT Charting Group said:

We offer 20% off the charts if you buy a new 9" unit or larger from us.  We don't do it on the 7"s and for most do not recommend them as the screen res is inferior and the small units are much harder to see and also to use.  Lots of people run them but most who do agree bigger would be better.  It would definitely work better than what you have with respect to the chart detail but what happens is you get it and then you start regretting the smaller screen.  9" is much better and with a 12 you can really see everything well.  It's not just a navigation tool.  People use it to scout holes on flats etc.  The resolution makes a difference with higher quality imagery.  It would make no difference with the low res imagery like you find on Navionics.  Those photos look the same on all of the units regardless of how capable the screen is. With ISLA, the more capable your screen is the better the photos appear and the happier you are on the water. Not once has anyone ever called or wrote us and advised.. hey this unit is just too *** big.  I have to go to a 7".  But the opposite happens every week around here.  We even have some people running 16's now on 18-20' inshore rigs.  They do it because they can see everything with it.  The res on the 16's is twice that of a 12 and it is pretty crazy to see in action I must say.  Its really easy to get used to.

Wondering if you guys have considered the option of, selling the chart without the tracks? The tracks are awesome, but maybe some people don't feel they need them. This could make a more affordable option to people who would just like to have the satellite image chart.

21 minutes ago, hurricane said:

Wondering if you guys have considered the option of, selling the chart without the tracks? The tracks are awesome, but maybe some people don't feel they need them. This could make a more affordable option to people who would just like to have the satellite image chart.

The tracks can be totally turned off along with any other map feature if you like.  We haven't thought about offering a different product that has no tracks at all as an option but it would be extremely easy to do.  The guides just turn them all off and use photos and markers only.  Is that what you want?  

17 minutes ago, FMT Charting Group said:

The tracks can be totally turned off along with any other map feature if you like.  We haven't thought about offering a different product that has no tracks at all as an option but it would be extremely easy to do.  The guides just turn them all off and use photos and markers only.  Is that what you want?  

I was aware you could turn them off.  I was just think of a lower cost product option, that didn't include the tracks, but had the navigation data overlayed on the satellite map.  Might find people who don't travel enough to unknown waters don't need the tracks, but having great imagery of their locals waters a nice thing to have. Just a thought, you're making a great product.

We may release North or South versions without tracks for $100 less. Its simple to create.    We delivered a few of those in the past and then most of those people contacted us and wanted tracks added back on when they visited some other places and wanted to switch it out and pay the difference.. It was a production hassle to deal with the different versions but it probably works fine for some people who are more cost sensitive.  Is that what you would want?

3 hours ago, FMT Charting Group said:

We may release North or South versions without tracks for $100 less. Its simple to create.    We delivered a few of those in the past and then most of those people contacted us and wanted tracks added back on when they visited some other places and wanted to switch it out and pay the difference.. It was a production hassle to deal with the different versions but it probably works fine for some people who are more cost sensitive.  Is that what you would want?

Not something I would want right now, I only have a 7" inch display, maybe when I upgrade. Was more responding to the inquiry of a discount on your product, as an option at a lower price. 

On 4/3/2019 at 12:50 PM, fishmanjj said:

Wow.... it’s hard to believe grown men with a common liking ( fish) are arguing like a bunch of school kids about which electronic device is better for their boats. I’m 63 years old with a USCG 100 GT Master license and have Captained boats from 15 ft to 103 ft since 1978 to include running bar pilot boats , Sportfish yachts, trawlers, flats boats, bay boats, inshore, offshore, etc. It started out with a COMPASS. Later came LORAN and a paper chart recorder ( yes... we thought it was the greatest invention since the compass ) Today’s electronics are truly amazing and are continually being updated ( as in all electronic devices ) The new GPS’s can get you within a 4 ft square at 100 miles offshore. You guys need to buy whatever you like, learn to use it and go fishing. This forum is a great opportunity to share information and help one another with DIY projects, or share some fishing pics, or performance questions and answers, etc, but we all should be gentlemen enough to respect each other and just thank THE LORD we can all can have a boat and go fishing. 

If any of you think your navigation device is bad....take it out and go back to using your COMPASS. After about two trips you’ll be re-installing the unit no matter what brand it is.  Enough said, JJ

Great point on removing the GPS nav systems, i'd hate to see what the waterways looked like then! Whew!