Catch of the day (pictures)

HoneyB

Another interesting dawn patrol w/ the oldest son.   Looked for trout, but an unexpected cold front overnight shut them down.   Got so cold and so frustrated we went back to the ramp and warmed up in the truck for awhile, then ventured back out.    Decided to take advantage of a low tide to scout for reds that might be hunkering down in some deep sections of marsh creeks.   As we were exiting the boat, we saw a family of otters just behind us, squeaking and calling each other.  A very cool bonus for the morning. 

We literally walked the boat as far back as we could get it, using the trolling motor to help (another cool use of the ipilot!).   We probably walked a muddy mile searching up and down creeks for reds, and managed to spook one but no luck.   

Coming out, we started to climb back into the boat when just outside the mouth of the creek a school of reds blew up a baitschool.    Literally ran over oysters and tripped through mud, but missed the frenzy.    My son shot a cast to the last place we saw them and came tight on a scrappy little rat red, so our day wasn't a dismal failure.     Another blow up down the bank had us doing the oyster shuffle again and again we got there too late.   We fired casts off blindly and managed to hook up simultaneously - him to a 17" flounder and me to a 22" red.    No more bites, but turned out to be a pretty memorable trip! 

0994F5C8-B256-4669-A4E2-24C7DA945BDA.jpeg

6DB8C474-3793-4F11-B86E-687F4A4339FA.jpeg

0B42C642-E5A9-4D06-A2F7-46A72D482C3F.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Pretty good day!   Buddy boated with my son and his friend in his boat and my daughter in mine.   Trout have been really tough but we FINALLY found em.   Probably caught 30 if not more.   Lost a beauty at the boat too.  Epic day!

Great post!  You are blessed Gus.

• Like 1