Catch of the day (pictures)

HoneyB

1 hour ago, whichwaysup said:

we will get it and get it running again. 

I was 12 or 13 when I learned how to pickle an engine:D! Growing up in South Florida and running the canal system that many of us did and still do, we have had plenty of opportunities to screw up on jon boats!

Glad everyone was safe and a lesson learned! 

• Like 2

Boys just informed me that the diver has come through and will do a search tonight.  Would appreciate some prayers that he finds it.   If they recover it, my son will have officially have outperformed his father, because somewhere in St Josephs sound between Indian Bluff and the spoil Islands, there is an ancient 20hp Johnson on the bottom that came off my boat the same way theirs came off, but I never found it.    Actually found an old pic from that fateful day, note the missing engine at the stern . . .

Fingers crossed. . .

20210812_114826.jpg

20210812_114833.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

I was 12 or 13 when I learned how to pickle an engine:D! Growing up in South Florida and running the canal system that many of us did and still do, we have had plenty of opportunities to screw up on jon boats!

Glad everyone was safe and a lesson learned! 

walking home many years ago I found an old 15hp Gamefisher at the bottom of the Tamiami canal.  I pulled it home on my sisters red flyer wagon.  I filled it full of diesel and it loosened up a week later.  I ran that motor for a couple years before selling it and upgrading.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Bad news, diver couldnt find it.   We are going to do another search using electronics tomorrow.    

A friend of mine dropped a motor in fairly deep water. We found it by towing a heavy steel pipe on the bottom. The pipe was probably 10 foot or so and was heavy enough to lay on the bottom. We tied ropes to either side and pulled it along the bottom.  Once we had the bar up against the motor I followed the rope down and tied another rope to the motor. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HoneyB said:

On another note he needs to move his winch assembly forward 😃😄😁🤣

Lol, yeah, that pic is 25 yrs old, and yes, I was a googan back then.     That boat was upside down on a highway one day because I didnt understand what tie down straps were for.   flipped it back over, cranked it up on the trailer, went fishing afterwards (after swallowing my pride).  I have made a lot of mistakes in my day, so it is fun to watch my son do the same.   

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 12:16 PM, whichwaysup said:

Bad news, diver couldnt find it.   We are going to do another search using electronics tomorrow.    

when you say electronics, do you mean down scan...that would show exactly where it is then you can grappling possibly or dive at that point...best to  you

• Like 1

Okay, so, we didnt "catch" the old one, but we found its twin for sale.   The boys coughed up the cash and are back in business.

Taking after his dad in all the wrong ways.  Bought a boat, then got to buy iy twice, but what good is money anyway when you can have boats instead?

Negotiated a trolling motor into the deal, so they are ready to put a hurting on the flounder when the season opens!

20210822_064438.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...