Hewes 21 Redfisher restoration.

Josh B

On 11/28/2021 at 9:48 AM, redzone1 said:

Nearly a month without an update.  Completely and totally unacceptable performance Josh!  We need an update for crying out loud!!!!

I had to wait until midnight tonight to respond so it's officially a full month! First, let me say that nobody is more disappointed than me. I have been working on it, a few hours at a time... but it has been neglected severely the last month. One major benefit to the boat being at my dads shop was that I could go there and work on it uninterrupted for 6-8-10 hours at a time. Now that it is back at my house I'm subjected to constant interruptions from my wife and kids. 

On top of that I have had a few other projects get in my way. Some house projects and some work projects that occupied my weekends. I'm still working on it every spare minute I get with the exception of some family camping trips and some long overdue fishing trips. But it's just slow going and I'll be the first one to agree with you... it's just p!ss poor performance and lack of dedication on my wife's part. Ha ha

Most of the stuff I've been working on is either not photo worthy or it's half way done and I want to wait until it's finished to take pics. But i'll get them up here as soon as I make some progress. 

@Smoak352 The Carbon/Kevlar models of 21 Redfisher's and 99.9% of 21 Master Anglers are only carbon/kevlar on the hatch lids. There may be a few pounds of weight savings, but it's not much and I really doubt it makes any difference in performance. In my opinion it's just a cosmetic gimmick to charge a little more... I definitely think it's cool and I'm glad to have it. There is one full carbon/kevlar Master Angler that i'm aware of where the entire hull/cap/console, etc. is completely carbon/kevlar. It was supposedly a custom build for someone extra special. The guy shared the pics on the MBG FB group page and it's a very cool boat. It's the only one I have ever seen. That boat probably weighs a few hundred pounds less, but can't say exact numbers for sure... just a guess.

Josh B.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, RacerxV6 said:

Wow Josh!!!!  You're dad reminds me of mine.  He never hired anyone to do anything.  He got his GC license and away he went. started wokring for himself with us 4 boys as his crew.  Love the pictures.....Thanks !!!

110%... he has always done everything himself. He built the house I grew up in and he's built a dozen others and plenty of other remodels. I have had plenty of experience helping along the way. But there's really nothing he cant do. He can do anything construction, automotive, building, fabricating, etc. About the only thing he doesn't do is technology! ha ha, he wants nothing to do with it... although we have got him on a smart phone the last few years but it's still a work in progress.

Josh B.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/23/2022 at 1:12 PM, Josh B said:

110%... he has always done everything himself. He built the house I grew up in and he's built a dozen others and plenty of other remodels. I have had plenty of experience helping along the way. But there's really nothing he cant do. He can do anything construction, automotive, building, fabricating, etc. About the only thing he doesn't do is technology! ha ha, he wants nothing to do with it... although we have got him on a smart phone the last few years but it's still a work in progress.

Josh B.

*Quoting here so as not to reload all the pics you shared*

The house is equally as impressive as the boat, Josh! Having a young son and wife myself, I totally get the shuffling of priorities. My boat is fine, but doing a kitchen and bath remodel now as well, and can't even get the boat out to knock the cob webs off it. So it goes. We appreciate you checking in with the progress (house, boat, pops cars, etc). 

And yes, I think a house thread is necessary, as what you've shared is great! I also admire the re-purposing of old lumber and the desire to keep the original design of your home intact. All very cool! 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys... my apologies, I haven't logged in for quite a while. 

The boat went to the back burner as I've just been swamped with working on my house. Along with family, summer vaca's and work. My counterpart at work decided to leave for a better opportunity, so i've been working 2x and really just struggling for any free time.

That being said, I did have the boat scanned for decking. I haven't finalized it yet, but thinking of doing this three layer 9mil scheme. It's champagne over toffee over black. The champagne is a fairly close match to the oyster-white decking so hopefully it won't be such a noticeable difference between decking and hatch drains, etc. The toffee middle layer will be minimal, but should tie in nicely with the toffee colored upholstery I'm planning for the seats. The black edge will tie in with the black hardware on the boat and the black stitching on the upholstery. That's my thoughts anyways. What do you guys think? I'm still undecided on the patterns as well. I don't want it to be too busy, but don't think i want a solid flat surface either. Maybe just the straight lines or maybe diamond pattern? I'd love to hear what you guys think would look best. 

IMG_5254.thumb.JPEG.9b464eb4953d3f55a2fed90a8388a198.JPEG

IMG_5253.thumb.JPEG.1e8eb7a10c51efb9253b698689ca7dae.JPEG

IMG_5252_edited.thumb.jpg.7c1a1952aade08dc90a30e89dec54dde.jpg

The other good news is that i'm making some good progress on the house. I'm hoping to be done by Thanksgiving and will then put my focus back on the boat. I'm doing drywall this weekend. I'm beyond ready to be done with this project and I told the wife I'm not starting another "project" for at least a year. (ha)

And... I did actually get to fish a little. Every year me & my buddies fish 3 summer time overnight slam tournaments. Redfish, Snook, Trout, Tarpon. We had a pretty solid run at it and caught some incredible fish. Probably the best Snook fishing year I've ever had. Between the three tournaments we caught well over 100+ Snook in the mid-upper 30's and about two dozen fish over 40 inches. Biggest ones were 44, 43, 42.5. Talk about fun! 

IMG_7957.thumb.JPEG.8c64c321bad02810a1e25f2cb8625278.JPEG

Capture.thumb.JPG.591a25af3434b597b640f1a890317bd4.JPG

Anyways, the moment I can get back working on the boat I'll be here posting updates. Sorry again for the delay, but we'll get there eventually. Hope all is well.

Josh B.

• Like 3

JOSH!  Was starting to get worried about that redfisher.  .  . Er. . .  . You.  Good to hear she is still on the radar and the project will continue!

Are you set on seadeck?  I keep reading mixed reviews about resale impact (because I am tempted to put it on my boat).  If so, like the color scheme. 

Have to say with the work you have put into this boat, I would probably not go with SeaDek. I had it on my platform on the Redfisher and currently have it on the platform on my HPX as well as two Bote paddle boards.  Although it looks great when new, it just does not hold up.  I have full covers on both boats and keep the paddle boards in the garage, in cases when transporting. The material has shrunk on both boats and the two tone pieces separate on the paddle boards.

Just one person’s opinion and I am sure others will disagree.  With the quality and time you are putting in to the retrofit, decking materials just seems to be a cheap cosmetic cover up.  

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, redzone1 said:

Any updates

Heyyyyyyy Guys!!!!! 

Interestingly enough... I just started working on the boat again this past weekend!

I finished up my house addition on Saturday and worked on the boat Sunday. Man it feels good. 

After thinking about it a long time and going back and forth, I decided to pass on the SeaDek option and I'm just respraying the non-skid on the entire deck. I've had SeaDek and it definitely has it's benefits, especially with the kids. However, the looks of fresh, clean, non-skid is hard to beat and I think it will give the boat a more "new" look than just covering with decking material. 

That being said, I started sanding the deck on Sunday. I have a dozen or more places that need to be ground out and repaired. They are small hairline cracks for the most part, some chips and a handful of screw holes. Once I get all that repaired and sanded down I'll be ready for paint. So the next big question??? Do I go oyster white like factory? Do I go a whiter white that matches with other accessories (cooler, MinnKota, etc.)? Or do I go with Whisper Gray? All the hardware on the boat is black. 

My thoughts are... it depends on upholstery. If I go oyster white anything you add later will need to match. It makes my OCD itch when you have oyster/cream/tan with a bright white accessory. So if I go oyster white or gray I will end up getting a black trolling motor and a cooler that matches. If I go white-white I can use the existing (like new) MinnKota that I have as well as a new white cooler that I have. However, the bright-white definitely makes more glare. 

So maybe help me decide?

1. White  - matches cooler & MinnKota, more glare, upholstery options are white/black, tan/black. 
  2. Oyster White - close to factory appearance, slightly less glare, will not match cooler/TM. Will need to replace MinnKota with Rhodan. (Hopefully Power-Pole will release their new motor soon). Upholstery would have to match, could still go tan/black. 
  3. Whisper Gray (or other very light gray) - would have to replace cooler/TM, less glare, upholstery would most likely be gray/black, but could still be tan/black. 

I think gray/black looks more modern, white/black looks more "new boat", and oyster/cream looks more "classic". 

So obviously this is all personal preference, but I'm curious what everyone thinks. And as a disclaimer it probably doesn't matter what anyone says or thinks, my wife will end up telling me what to do! Shocker!!! ha ha

Anyways, sorry for the long winded return post... but we will have progress incoming! 

Josh B.

• Like 1