What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

• 4 weeks later...

Back in the shop.  Had a new motor (Yam F150sho) installed in Sept 20, had a new hydraulic cylinder installed on the motor.  Now, the console unit went out...and of course, my angle is not available, so a whole new, tilting head is being ordered...cha ching...I love my boat, and have only had it for 2 yrs....I have a sunk a small fortune, over $22k+ in that time.  We in over my head...gotta keep her!

1 hour ago, Fatherof4 said:

Back in the shop.  Had a new motor (Yam F150sho) installed in Sept 20, had a new hydraulic cylinder installed on the motor.  Now, the console unit went out...and of course, my angle is not available, so a whole new, tilting head is being ordered...cha ching...I love my boat, and have only had it for 2 yrs....I have a sunk a small fortune, over $22k+ in that time.  We in over my head...gotta keep her!

Okay - explain this one, just because I'm morbidly curious, and know that someday I'll be re-powering.   What cylinder went out on the motor?  Tilt/Trim, or are you referring to the hydraulic steering system?   I feel your pain, I bought my boat twice, but having bought used boats all my life and always selling them for what I had in them, I was due.   In the end, it was worth it.   Love my MA, love the way it rides, loves it's versatility, and love the fact that I know its structurally sound.   Love my old Vmax's rumble, but I will say those new SHOs look pretty nice and are a lot less thirsty!

2 hours ago, Fatherof4 said:

Price a new Skiff....why do you think I'm restoring my Holy Ghost ???

DC

• Like 1

They put on a new hydraulic steering ram with my new motor.  The existing one that was on my original 2 stroke, would not fit on the Yam 150SHO.  So, a new one was put on.  At that time, I told my boat shop, that I did have a leak.  They could not find anything, put on the new ram, bled it and away I went.  In Dec, when I was back on the water, the steering hardly worked.  On the 4 hr pull back home, upon arriving, I noticed "oil" all over my cowling and poling platform.

Took it back to the shop last week.  The "unit" under the steering wheel was leaking, and due to the "angle" of my steering wheel, they are replacing the whole unit with a "tilting" unit.  

And yes, I understand.  I paid around $14,500 or so for my boat...now, I am knocking on the door of $35k+.  Again, all things considered, I will keep it forever...just getting it where I want it.  Had Sea Deck put on the flooring, and like it so far.  Always something.

Yes,   "Always something"     Mine is only 9 years old and there is never the "I am all done" feeling. Always something else that can use my attention. I was doing my 100 hour and oh here we go, lower unit was very low on oil. Had to have it resealed, all good For Now....LOL

I must say. I think they should have talked you into a new or at least rebuilt and or resealed Helm when they replaced the steering ram. Chalk it up to knowledge, we always do both when we have a problem. We also purge the fluid every year or so. Even in a closed system the fluid gets nasty.   

• Like 1

Had Ralph “Outlaw” make me a step up for the poling platform cause I hate getting up the side. Makes getting up by the center easier and getting down even better. Thought it out where I could use the latch in the locked position for the turnbuckle so I would not have to drill another hole for and eye bolt.

Once again the Outlaw comes through with a beautiful job! 

A1301270-62B0-4D4E-AADA-C4512B55EF9C.thumb.jpeg.435ba2d2ea9e21bcd717dfd2f539ef96.jpeg
EFA31921-4A5C-4E5D-B458-701C4E66091F.thumb.jpeg.12066abfb8a93e462b8cd99d6473671a.jpeg

7EC2ECEB-651D-4F4E-B73E-BE7E11584837.thumb.jpeg.b1f5de4c86ba5eee6da68f34cc80fa07.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Coto said:

Had Ralph “Outlaw” make me a step up for the poling platform cause I hate getting up the side. Makes getting up by the center easier and getting down even better. Thought it out where I could use the latch in the locked position for the turnbuckle so I would not have to drill another hole for and eye bolt.

A1301270-62B0-4D4E-AADA-C4512B55EF9C.thumb.jpeg.435ba2d2ea9e21bcd717dfd2f539ef96.jpeg
EFA31921-4A5C-4E5D-B458-701C4E66091F.thumb.jpeg.12066abfb8a93e462b8cd99d6473671a.jpeg

7EC2ECEB-651D-4F4E-B73E-BE7E11584837.thumb.jpeg.b1f5de4c86ba5eee6da68f34cc80fa07.jpeg

What's inside that hatch?  Also makes a nice place to make sandwiches!  Ralph is the man, for sure!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coto said:

Ralph's welds, designs and quality craftsmanship have always been the best I've seen anywhere.  One can only hope he teaches a young apprentice some of these skills before he retires.  Awesome work Outlaw!

39 minutes ago, geeviam said:

Ralph's welds, designs and quality craftsmanship have always been the best I've seen anywhere.  One can only hope he teaches a young apprentice some of these skills before he retires.  Awesome work Outlaw!

I have been looking for a Padawan Learner for years .

The youngins today are not to interested in getting their hands durty .

3D printing , may be an option .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️ 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SouthernWake said:

Not only does the step look good, that 2 stroke looks pristine!

Yeah, when you don't fish...the boat always looks good....I think COTO is just going to sit under tarp on his new seat and drink bourbon.....hint hint....when we going feeeeesssshinnng....COTO needs some exercise on his biceps and has to push my fat AR$E about on the front of Flamingo :)

dc

• Like 1

Ok Men....I am very lenient, but, I am being tested. A friend of mine ( and a customer of mine) owns a local boat repair/retail store in my town. Being a small town, anyone that is a customer of mine, I do business with them, even if they are more expensive. Auto parts, tire store, etc. Seems only right. So, last fall, in Sept to be exact, I have this customer, I elected to buy a brand new Yam 150 SHO for my 1996 Flats boat. All said and done, around $18k. Part of that, was, while I am at it, replace all my gauges, make it look nice. So they did that too. Now, I opted for all new Yamaha gauges. Not aftermarket. I did analog, to go with the older boat, vs digital.

Now, when I picked the boat up last Sept, the gas gauge did not work/was not "sync-ed" up right. Full, was way up in the gauge. In short, not reading right. I told them about it then, and have since. Now, back in the shop for a new steering wheel assembly as my hydraulic steering was leaking. Another $1100 today. I asked about the gauge. Nope, not working, "But the boat is ready"...I said, no it wasnt. The excuse was...They can reach the sending unit....Are you kidding me?? Now, I have paid for the new console hydraulic steering, and still no gauge. Can this be calibrated? Take to another shop?

Again, just at my wits end....Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Yeah, when you don't fish...the boat always looks good....I think COTO is just going to sit under tarp on his new seat and drink bourbon.....hint hint....when we going feeeeesssshinnng....COTO needs some exercise on his biceps and has to push my fat AR$E about on the front of Flamingo :)

dc

Lol, I was thinking the exact same thing about the Yamadog... Super Clean

5 hours ago, Fatherof4 said:

In regards to the gauge, there is nothing technical about an analog fuel gauge. If it is hooked up correctly it should be fine. If there was an issue with the sender it would likely just not read at all.

What reading is it giving you? Reading full up all the time to me means they have it wired to the gauge incorrectly.

Fuel gauges are always relative.  The only way to truly get your fuel consumption is to fill the skiff to max, run it on a long day and put some miles on it, refill, note the miles and divide by gallons filled to = mpg.

I don't rely on my fuel gauge, I know i have a 27 gal tank and my mileage is always 3.5 mpg so long as I don't run WOT all day which I rarely ever do....i always insure I have at least 5-7 gallons when I arrive back in, so my range is 21x3.5=73.5 miles....i do a restart on the Simrad every trip.  

I am going to install the sender to my speedomter on the restoration but that's more for show than necessity.

You can also install a fuel mechanism in your fuel line which measure gallons passing and is the most accurate. It connects to a gauge on the console and you can get instant consumption.

dc