What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

13 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

Fished tournament Saturday on Lake Greenwood, drove 1/2 way "30M" to the lake before I realized I forgot my key!  What do you guys do and where do you keep your key for the day you forget? Then Sunday spent 4 hours cleaning her and covering her as she won't hit the water again til the 23rd.

Small standard blade screwdriver and a pair of channel locks or vise grips will turn the switch on. Then the next week you can replace the switch or modify your key to fit the slot . Ask me how I know ? 😉🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FYI,

I went to Bob's Machine shop over in Tampa to pick up a new motor, hoses etc for my jackplate. The original was installed in 2004.  Before leaving I opened the box and noticed they only used the nylon (automotive)connectors!??  Obviously, i was shocked.  So, I went back inside and explained to them how this motor lives in the bilge and would corrode rather quickly.  The "engineer" looked at me like I had 10 heads.  I asked them to please replace the connectors with heat shrink or give my money back.  Fortunately, they agreed to change out my connectors to heat shrink while I was there.  

I guess since they ship these motors to either the manufacturer or dealer they never have to deal with the everyday boater.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 10:14 AM, plainsman5 said:

FYI,

I went to Bob's Machine shop over in Tampa to pick up a new motor, hoses etc for my jackplate. The original was installed in 2004.  Before leaving I opened the box and noticed they only used the nylon (automotive)connectors!??  Obviously, i was shocked.  So, I went back inside and explained to them how this motor lives in the bilge and would corrode rather quickly.  The "engineer" looked at me like I had 10 heads.  I asked them to please replace the connectors with heat shrink or give my money back.  Fortunately, they agreed to change out my connectors to heat shrink while I was there.  

I guess since they ship these motors to either the manufacturer or dealer they never have to deal with the everyday boater.

I glued down one of those rust eliminator tabs designed for a tackle box to the top of my jack plate pump, so far it has done a good job keeping rust off.

I do treat the wiring and solenoids as disposable but they are easy to replace from an auto parts store.

10 hours ago, SouthernWake said:

I glued down one of those rust eliminator tabs designed for a tackle box to the top of my jack plate pump, so far it has done a good job keeping rust off.

I do treat the wiring and solenoids as disposable but they are easy to replace from an auto parts store.

I spray everything down with CRC 6-56 marine lubricant on a regular basis. I buy it by the gallon from Amazon. I even spray my trailer hardware and hubs, as well as lug nuts after I've dunked and rinsed the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-06008-Marine-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant/dp/B0000AY2HN/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2W15NHJF4QU1O&dchild=1&keywords=cry+6-56&qid=1618968996&sprefix=cry+6%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-6

On 4/19/2021 at 10:14 AM, plainsman5 said:

I asked them to please replace the connectors with heat shrink or give my money back.  Fortunately, they agreed to change out my connectors to heat shrink while I was there.  

Anything in the bilge should use a double heat shrink connection....meaning, use a nylon or heat shrink, crimp it down and then slide heat shrink over the connection, followed by a second longer...lots of work, but, will never corrode...the legend HOBO always used this method....I've seen others, and I use this as well, after you crimp, put 5200, 4200 or liquid tape all over the connection, then slide over a heat shrink and seal it to the connection.....what can happen, even with a Anchor top quality heat shrink is you can get a break in the shrink by the crimper and while you think you have sealed it...that small opening to the corrosion will begin to rust.....

it's more work, but, it's a "one" time fix....

On my new AMERATRAIL...i was amazed they only used a straight heat shrink.....I got under the skiff and painted all the connections with liquid tape....very disappointing 

94423711_ScreenShot2021-04-22at4_35_08AM.png.964be561ba4f27813ef45d64403c6ff6.png

930455424_ScreenShot2021-04-22at4_37_01AM.png.8940309ac87e93de6f52c98517210938.png

• Like 2

I spent the last week in the FL Panhandle.  After a few days, noticed the steering feeling like air in the lines.  Bled the system.  Found a leak in the coupler to my hydraulic lines up at the pump under the steering wheel.  Took to the shop today to replace BOTH lines.  Now, I have a new pump, new lines, and a new ram in the back at the motor.  Hopefully, good for years to come.  One less thing to worry about.

Took me about 4 days reading here and there when I had time, but today I finished going through all 64 pages of this discussion thread. Figured it was only right being new to the forum and the new owner of a '03 2400V. I must say, my list of things to do on the boat increased substantially after seeing all the great ideas and hard work that has been put into everyone's rigs. I plan on starting a thread for my upcoming restoration over in the Vintage Pathfinder section soon. In the mean time, here is the list of what I've gotten done in the past couple weeks since I got the boat;

-Replaced all 3 low pressure pumps, VST filter, VST screen and fuel filters on my '03 Yamaha OX66 225. Thankfully this solved my fuel delivery issues and the motor has been running pretty well. See photo of large tear in old fuel pump diaphragm I pulled out.

2098342055_IMG_3185(1).thumb.jpg.48596bd7f0047ef041f802148dfa4b3f.jpg

-Installed Rabuds, has made a huge difference, have not experienced any of the known negatives to them yet

IMG_3279.thumb.jpg.dc740c211d28e5835990a9ca7949591a.jpg

-Added console access hatch, love this change, makes work in the console so much easier, pulled out what felt like 100' of abandoned speaker wire from the console..

IMG_3384.thumb.jpg.7c94e4a96a95519f3929117f7e3f0976.jpg

IMG_3386.thumb.jpg.e230ae05cfafd1419438f81e763b5ccf.jpg

-Removed and sold old chart plotter on eBay, replaced with a new GO9 unit, yet to install transducer

-Troubleshot faulty radio that would not produce sound, determined cheap head unit is blown, new Fusion RA70N head unit on order to feed the existing crappy speakers until I get around to a true audio refit

-And earlier this evening, removed old trolling motor mount that made it impossible to get a rope around the front cleat. Now have a bunch of ugly holes up on the bow of the boat. Thinking a piece of starboard will make a nice coverup piece until I am ready to really repair and install a new TM

Sideways pictures because I hear y'all like em that way and I don't know how to fix it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

No pics, but fixed my broken trailer light mount.  Some knucklehead managed to break it off in a parking lot - but didn't damage the light or wiring.   Used the opportunity to get the rest of my trailer lights working again - a few of the smaller fender lights had stopped working.    Got everything going, but the wiring itself is so rotten it's just a matter of time before it breaks again.    Going to have to re-wire the trailer, and looking forward to it.    I don't think there is anything more satisfying than having ALL lights working on your boat and trailer!

Took the boat out this weekend for a trip on the pamlico sound.   2.5 hour trip each way out to the literal ends of the earth.   Absolutely love it out there.   Didn't do great - 3 or 4 flounder, 4 trout, and 1 striper, but it was a gorgeous day.   Boat ran like a top and I can't imagine how many miles we put on her.   Pretty amazing to be out there and look east and see nothing but water . . . but knowing that somewhere over the horizon are the outer banks.   

• Like 3