98 Hewes LT 18 Rehab

Reel Loco

Wanna & Bob,

I called before I ordered the rodholders. My grabrail measures 2 5/8" from the console to outside of rail and the rodholders are 2 3/8" from the console to the center of the rod tubes so for 1/4" I don't think I'll mess with it. For custom made they almost doubled the price.

Good to hear you got your windshield.

Thanks Skiffen. If only I could get the bilge to look that good! :o

Spent the day trying to tie up some loose ends. I finished sanding the console door frame and cleaned it with naptha. I bought automotive self etching primer and black paint to finish her off.

Ready to paint

P1070645_zps7ce60860.jpg

After primer(3coats)

P1070646_zps373f6e76.jpg

Top coated (3coats)

P1070647_zps9c42a0c3.jpg

My seat lid had three cracks in the front edge which had to be addressed.

P1070637_zps1471bf92.jpg

Someone had added plywood stiffners to the front and back of the deck lid. I routed out enough material to be able to put a epoxy & 1708 mat (3 layers) patch on the backside of each crack.

P1070635_zpsf8821b49.jpg

P1070643_zps4eb6b55a.jpg

I then filled in the rest of the voids with thickened epoxy.

P1070644_zps63a9e089.jpg

A friend of mine donated some sheet rubber for my project. I think I will attempt to make gaskets for the console door frame and the bilge access hatch frame and the just caulk the edges of each..

I find it hard to believe anyone would let their boat get in the condition you found it in. I am very impressed with the work and dedication you put into saving this. Nice job! Btw, this is Ken, we talked about the Bimini earlier. Once we are settled in down there next week, I will give you a ring. Maybe we can do some fishing on my rig.

I haven't forgotten about posting pictures of the rod holders, I'm just not very good at it. The arrangement isn't very neat, and the holders are not the same color, but I haven't changed them and have come to like them on the same side. The rear one is probably the factory installed 3 rod holder and the forward set is a 2 rod holder. They're right next to each other.

Wanna & Bob,

I called before I ordered the rodholders. My grabrail measures 2 5/8" from the console to outside of rail and the rodholders are 2 3/8" from the console to the center of the rod tubes so for 1/4" I don't think I'll mess with it. For custom made they almost doubled the price.

[color:red]UPDATE[/color]

When the rodholders arrived from Boat Outfitters I measured from the console to center of tube and discovered that the measurement provided by Boat Outfitters was incorrect. Instead of measuring 2 3/8" from console to center of tube they measured 2". This was a deal breaker as my grab rail measures 2 5/8" from console to outside of rail.

I immediately contacted Boat Outfitter's customer service expecting a not so good outcome. I spoke with Andrew who took responsibiliy for the mistake right off the get go. He suggested returning them as obviously this was not going to work. I advised him that I did not want to return them but wanted to know if he could make spacers to compensate for the required distance from the console and could he make them 1" wide. He advised he could only make them 3/4" max and would be happy to make 4 spacers (two rodholders) and would have them shipped to me by Wednesday of next week if that was acceptable. I was impressed with his concern at making things right and at his expense. I called on Tuesday to get a tracking number and he said he had misuderstood me at first and was making (4)3/4" wide and (4) 1" wide as I had requested. He also said I would have them the following day as promised. I thought no way I'll have them by Wednesday. WRONG! They were delivered as promised. Does customer service get any better than that? :content:

One of the spacers. They even beveled the ends to match the rodholders. Nice!

P1070665_zpsfb90a273.jpg

Rodholder with spacer.

P1070657_zps73e32213.jpg

I needed to transfer the bolt centers onto the console in some fashion without scratching the console all up so I used a piece of cardbord and tipped the ends of the bolts with some of the wife's nail polish. Next I carefully placed the rodholder onto the cardboard and quickly removed it. I then made holes at the nail polish marks with an ice pick.

P1070659_zps6a2e602f.jpg

I proceeded to trace the rodholder on the cardboard and cut it out as a template. Wallaaaa!

P1070660_zps071f6305.jpg

P1070661_zps18a366ac.jpg

I also mounted a piece of cutting board (15"x20") from wally world using Bilge Rat's suggestion to use SS tee nuts. I'll mount my fuse block, etc. on this by drilling and tapping the cutting board.

P1070668_zps62de178f.jpg

Ready to fish!!! Well, maybe not quite yet. :)

P1070670_zps6a24111b.jpg

Gary

I'm glad you were able to get a fix for the rod holders. I'm afraid that I'm going to have the same issue. The OEM holders on the boat currently are not far enough out to clear the grab rail once I install it. I'm still trying to locate a set of aluminum 3 rod holders that will give me the needed clearance. Did you have any issues or tips to installing the windshield? Looks like you are making real progress.

IWF,

Gary

Did you have any issues or tips to installing the windshield? Looks like you are making real progress.

Remember to start your holes with the bit in reverse to prevent chipping of your gelcoat. Do not force the screws. Use a bit 1/64th larger if needed but try on one hole only until correct.

My biggest mistake was doing it myself! :( I could have used an extra set of hands to get everything lined up correctly. My grabrail and windshield do not line up with one another 100%.

I installed the front center screw first on the windshied and that worked out well.

Good luck with your install!!

Gary

Fishtails,

I think if you shave a little off the contact side of the bottom bracket it may lean the holder out just enough to clear the grab rail. I have seen this before. :confused:

You really need to get that rig wet. I talked to a guy today at Caxambas park who boated about 50 reds. Mostly upper slot. I'm there tomorrow!!

I thought of having the spacers made a 1/16" or 1/8" smaller for the bottom but not until after they were shipped (duh) and I didn't have anyway myself to shave them, although I can pull the bottom spacers out at any time and have them reworked. I JUST WANNA FISH!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully I'll get back on the hull monday or tuesday and finish getting it prepped for painting.

Thanks for letting me know about the THOUSANDS of over slot sized reds that are being caught at the moment. :susel: :susel: :susel:

Gary

:content:

Gary,

I just got back to Naples a month ago and had some remodeling to do. Today is the first day I'll be on the water since May. Didn't mean to torture. If you want to go, give me a shout. I,m on Henderson Creek just off 41. email me if you want to go. I'll let you know how I did. Just because they got em doesn't mean I will........... :content:

Steve

Steve,

Gary,

Today is the first day I'll be on the water since May.

Now I don't feels so bad! Oldsalt has had me out a couple of times. My friend from Cape Coral is back from up north so I'm sure I'll get plenty of chances to get out. Problem is if I keep going out fishing I don't get the boat done. Kind of a catch 22. I love working on the boat but I'm at the point where I'm ready to fish her! :)

I'll take you up someday on the invite (maybe after I get the hull painted and flipped back over).

Gary

I think if you shave a little off the contact side of the bottom bracket it may lean the holder out just enough to clear the grab rail. I have seen this before. :confused:
RL

If the spacers or mounts on the rodholders are plastic/starboard you can shave them down with on a belt sander. One of the little belt/disc sander machines are handy to have around.

Being a tool addict i have 2 laying around.

Sometimes the obvious is right in front of your nose but you are too ###### to recognize it! Remember I said Andrew from Boat Outfitters made a set of 3/4" spacers and a set of 1" spacers? Now I have you thinking!

Sidebar: do not eat sugary cereal before attempting to call it a night. :( And then your wife brings home a delicious apple strudel on top of that. WOW

Thanks to Fishtails & Bilge Rat for making me think! Please, not at 1:30am though. :confused:

I swapped out the 1"wide lower tube supports for the 3/4" supports (finnished @ 3:30am) and the result is perfection! It kicked the rod tubes slightly outward which gives me about 1/4" clearance between the back of the rod & the outside of my grabrail.

P1070675_zpsfcdff899.jpg

Onward to the hull!

RL