98 Hewes LT 18 Rehab

Reel Loco

• 3 weeks later...
Looking good Gary. Now to get it flipped over without dinging that pretty yellow hull.

[color:red]Disclaimer: DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME> ONLY TRAINED PROFFESSIONALS SHOULD ATTEMPT THIS![/color]

Well, she finally flipped. The LT,that is! :) After cracking the gunnel while rolling her upside down in slings I knew I had to come up with something different to flip the LT right side up without damaging that new gelcoat.

I searched the internet to come up with someway that would be a controlled flip. The only thing I could find was a machine called the Capsizer made in North Dakota I believe. After contacting the factory I found that Mini-craft of Florida in Orlando had one in thier repair shop. I spoke with the shop foreman and was given a price of $350 to $500 to invert the LT. That was a bit out of my price range and at 2 1/2hrs away was going to be another $80 in gas . So, back to the drawing board. Borrowing from the Capsizer concept I started having pcs. fabricated.

P1080010_zps121da3a2.jpg

P1080071_zpsa1f4b179.jpg

P1080074_zpseeaff21b.jpg

Not shown in the above pics are two pieces of 2" pipe x 8" long that I then slipped over the 1 1/2" pipes(greased) on the bow and stern pcs.

Then off to the boatyard to Brady and his travel lift.

P1080086_zps3593b48e.jpg

I had an entourage of friends along to help and take pics. Video may become available if my friend can figure out how to get it off his smart phone. :D

P1080089_zpsb95a0e78.jpg

P1080091_zps4d52d6fd.jpg

P1080092_zpsc253c10f.jpg

Safely rightside up! :)

P1080093_zpsf136e01a.jpg

As you'll see in this next photo, things got a little hairy when the bow eye actually bent while the LT was at 90 degrees to horizontal. You'll notice the lifting piece on the bow no longer comes off the bow level. That had my heart racing but I had made provision ahead of time that the slings could not slip off the ends.

P1080098_zps3f23d768.jpg

P1080100_zps884a26f9.jpg

P1080101_zpsa5df1688.jpg

That's Reel Loco gently guiding the LT into place on the trailer.

P1080103_zpsa262fc25.jpg

Here's LT sitting safely back in the drive with DonH's old poling platform sitting on top(the front legs are going to have to be re-worked).

P1080110_zpsf4db3a1d.jpg

P1080112_zps3a12b62d.jpg

Well, I can't complain that I have nothing to do now. I spent a total of about $160 getting her flipped back over (including tips). If I ever had to do it over again I would switch out the bow eye for a hardened one if there is such an animal.

And by the way Oldsalt, I did take out one little pc. of gelcoat about the size of a BB(next to the bow eye). :(

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement. I do have to thank a VERY understanding wife and my good friends who have provided help & even fishing trips(had pompano & mangs for dinner tonight) along the way! This is a great forum. I get much more from this forum than I give. THANKS,

RL

Great thread. You may want to have a 90 degree bend in the fuel vent hose to stop water from entering your tank. The hose should make a upward loop and be higher than the fuel vent nozzle. This allows fumes to p*** freely but will help stop water from coming in.

Pelagicmagic,

Thanks for the suggestion on the fuel vent hose. I totally agree that the vent hose should have an upward sweep to keep water from entering the fuel tank. I removed the old vent (which was a 90 degree) and replaced it with a straight vent. With the angle of the hull where the vent is located causes a natural upward sweep to the vent hose which will hopefully keep out any water.Working on a fuel dock for over five years has made me leary of an actual loop in the vent line as overfilling can cause fuel to be forced into the loop causing a situation which makes it difficult to fuel the tank. I've had folks who could not force any fuel into thier tank until they blew out the ventline. After doing that they fueled without issue.

Wakenbait,

It takes one hellava understanding wife! :) I also enjoy taking on the many challenges a project like this presents. It's in me blood!!!

I do know when I'm beaten an need to have the services of a pro (take the gelcoating for instance). I sure *** at that :content:

This forum has been a huge ***et. There are many talented folks on this place that love to share thier knowledge and experiences.

Made some progress in the last couple of days as I re-installed the fuel tank support and fuel tank. I still need to foam in the tank and hook up hoses. Before we know it we'll be re-installing the floor! :)

It looks amazing! Gives me hope for my project that i am going to go work on tonight. I will take some pictures and post them on my thread so you can see what she looks like. I still may take you up on your offer to come down and take a look at her sometime! I may have to drive down your street tonight so i can take a look in person!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still plugging away at the LT. Replaced the plastic thru hulls with all stainless steel fittings.

P1080133_zps5d18ab06.jpg

P1080128_zpsfcdf9fa7.jpg

P1080154_zps5026c852.jpg

I beveled (@ 45 degrees) both the floor edge and the remaining lip on the liner to facilitate re-installation of the floor. I'm fabricating 3" wide x 6' long pcs of fibergl*** (from 1708 gl*** & resin) to fasten to the bottom of the lip.

P1080134_zps1a720790.jpg

P1080164_zps44eb9661.jpg

I'm enjoying re-***embly a whole lot more than ripping things apart. I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel! :):):)

RL