98 Hewes LT 18 Rehab

Reel Loco

Hey FLDXT,

Sure hope your Mav doesn't need as much attention as the LT. I've been able to put in alot of hrs now that I'm retired and it's still taking longer than I would like. :confused:

I bought some marine carpet and cut out the new gunnel carpets. I still have to order the binding. That sewing machine I bought came with an attachment for doing the binding. What luck :)

P1080169_zps0c23dee8.jpg

I took the fibergl*** flatstock I made and installed it around the entire perimeter of the floor lip with ss screws every six inches. Next I'm going to loosen the screws, run a bead of thickened epoxy on top of the flatstock and tighten the screws back down.

P1080173_zps5bc33972.jpg

Wahooooo we're getting close to laying the floor back in. I was going to fill the entire gap in with 1708, epoxy and cap it with gelcoat but after examining construction of my floor I'm leaning towards a couple layers of 1708 & epoxy at the bottom followed by two part foam to replicate the core material and then four layers of 1708 capped with gelcoat.

RL

RL,

How much pre-search did you do before diving in the deep end? You obviously have the engineer gene, at some point do you just pull out the grinder and say what the heck? Do not have the tenacity or patience you have, but might get myself into something on a much smaller scale. Great inspiration for people in general in my opinion.

Thanks

Flood,

Before purchasing the LT I did quite a bit of research mainly on the internet as I had zero experience working with fibergl*** and resins. I followed a thread on The Hull Truth involving a guy that cut the whole stearn off his 25' boat and added five feet.

While reading a book on fibergl*** boat repair the author stated in the forward " there is nothing on a fibergl*** boat that cannot be repaired". It was at that moment I figured if I screw something up I can always go back and fix it again. I also traveled from the west coast of Florida to the factory on the east coast for a tour of the factory. That was an eye opener as I got to see boats in different stages of their build.

There is also a ton of info regarding fibergl*** boat repair on YouTube.com. I couldn't tell you how many vids I watched on how to make repairs, materials to use, etc.

Good luck with your repair I'm glad this thread has been helpful.

RL

Well, you sure took good notes. I have a pirogue in the back yard I should probable practice on first. I have some modification in mind for it too

"A pirogue is a small, flat-bottomed boat of a design ***ociated particularly with the Cajuns of the Louisiana marsh."

Had to look that one up :laugh:

Saturday I removed all of the fibergl*** strips from the lip of the floor edge, mixed epoxy and re-installed them. That was a long process as I first mixed about four ounces of epoxy with 404 thickner and inserted it in an empty caulk tube. Quickly I prepared to apply it with a caulk gun but before I could use it it had kicked! Sooooo,

I mixed smaller batches with less hardner and applied with a tongue depressor. :susel:

I'm satisfied with how strong of a ledge this arraignment gave me to install the floor on. :)

This morning Mrs. Reel Loco and myself set the floor in to check how well the fit would be. I couldn't be happier with the fit.

P1080187_zpse687815e.jpg

P1080183_zpsc3313f98.jpg

I removed the floor again as I'm going to taper the top edge back about one inch on both sides to give the epoxy more surface area to adhere to.

Yesterday I prepped the inside of the forward storage compartment to facilitate installing a new bottom. (PO had cut out the bottom to get at the stringer).

P1080186_zps6bd134ca.jpg

Well, I'm getting down to the nitty gritty as I attacked some of the smaller issues such as a long crack in the gelcoat located under the bench seat.

P1080174_zps2ce83349.jpg

P1080177_zps013a905c.jpg

This saturday is the target date for re-installing the floor.

RL

Once you get it gl***ed back together and feather edged with 40 grit, mix up some gel coat and add some talc to it making a medium paste.

Take a wide dry wall knife and float your floor out.

This will fill all of your low spots.

Don't forget to add your curing agent before adding the talc.

This past Saturday was a good day in this restoration process. Three good friends gave me a hand and we got the floor installed. :)

Before my friends arrived I prepped the top edge of the old floor and existing lip for a better bond when applying the top layer of gl*** (coming up when this rain stops).

P1080196_zpsdc2b1a31.jpg

Fine looking group of helpers :)

P1080198_zps2ce9541b.jpg

To install the floor we needed to apply a thickened epoxy around the edge of the existing lip and also apply a bonding putty to the top of the stringers that would bond the floor stiffners to the tops of the stringer. This was going to be a little tricky as it all had to be done quickly so neither the epoxy or bonding putty kicked before the other. Hence the three helpers. After a good discussion on how we were going to proceed the mixing began. These guys worked like a finely tuned motor. I was very worried about the bonding of the stiffners to the stringers but as you will see in the photos it all went well. Also notice I had installed small penetrations(pvc) thru the stiffners to facilitate getting my gunnel courtesy light wiring past the stiffners to the center console under the floor.

P1080199_zps3e5f6b92.jpg

P1080210_zps5adbf094.jpg

P1080204_zpsd6be7e01.jpg

P1080206_zpsdbc3bb1c.jpg

Here's a pic of the new bottom in my port side forward compartment

P1080193_zpsb4e1cc79.jpg

While it was raining the past couple of days I used that binding attachment that came with my sewing machine and finished the binding on my new gunnel carpets.

P1080228_zps15fa4ca2.jpg

P1080227_zps40eaf41d.jpg

Next I'm trying to figure out which rod holder goes where as they are not all the same. Hope to finish the floor (except gelcoat) early next week.

RL

Hey guys,

Thanks for the compliments! :) I've been busting my butt this week trying to get the floor done before the really hot weather sets in. I been blessed with not so hot days and some clouds to boot. Altogether I put about 20hrs on her this week. I've got some sore and aching muscles and joints but I'll forget about all that the first time I splash some fish slime on her!

This is the deck joint prepped and ready for a couple of layers of 1708 biaxial cloth and epoxy.

P1080230_zps0b83a463.jpg

After applying the two layers of gl*** & epoxy in the bottom of the groove

P1080235_zps7a6a8617.jpg

Next I mixed up two part 4lb density foam and poured the groove full

P1080236_zpsf623f5b3.jpg

After trimming the foam flush with the top of the deck with a hand saw.

P1080247_zps244ced6e.jpg

P1080252_zps5e17d7a8.jpg

Then I used a foam rasp to remove enough foam to allow for a 1/4" thick laminate of gl*** to tie it all together.

P1080256_zpsa39f251f.jpg

The following pics are of the gl*** fabric I trimmed to fit the groove. It took a total of 6 layers of 1708 biaxial cloth.

P1080257_zpse02c0349.jpg

P1080262_zps2edc30c5.jpg

P1080264_zpsf2b4f735.jpg

The following day I layed up two three layer shots(???) of gl*** with sanding between the first and second.

P1080274_zpsa9262a36.jpg

P1080275_zpsf7de01aa.jpg

After six hours of sanding this is where I'm at in the floor process. (exhausting!)

P1080276_zps253d18dd.jpg

Next up is to fill in some voids left after sanding with thickened epoxy and go get some matching gelcoat.

RL

Great job Gary! Let me know when you need a fishing break. I'll send those dimensions you requested to your e-mail. Might even take a couple pictures with the ruler, so you get the dimensional view.

Are you going to roll on the gel and are you putting a pattern in it?

Bob

Okay, so I've been getting ready to gelcoat the deck repairs and in the last two days found out the reverse osmosis system in the house has been wasting water down the drain 24/7 (shut it off) driving up our water usage for the past two mos., went to use the air compressor (new to me) and it crapped out, and found that the water softner was almost clogged shut causing a pressure drop in the house (dumped the contents today and found the bottom caked with a grayish sandlike substance).

Headed to the local water treatment store for new resins. }:(

RL

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 1999/2000 LTS 18'

do you have information on the sending unit?

and are the dimensions you stated in this post about the same... ie 7 in depth, looking at a moeller float model

http://www.boatersland.com/moe03576910.html?gclid=CKX_i9nFvbcCFVIV7AodqBQAbA

thanks for the help...

Jkeys,

You might try calling Ray Ayers at Maverick Boat Company for the info you are seeking. I don't have info on your boat but Ray should. That sender(I reused the one that was in the tank) looks great but the literature says it's for a 8" tank depth and mine only measured 7" in depth. May not work correctly if that float rod comes in contact with the bottom of your tank. Can't you measure the depth of your tank after removing the old sending unit?

RL

Reel Loco is goin BLACK!!!!!!!! :cool:

P1080328_zps43d8a649.jpg

Looks like the LT will be sportin' this motor sometime in August or September when it becomes available. Thanks to Capt. Dan Malzone from Tampa. :)

Picked up matched gelcoat and waiting for my gelcoat man to call so we can get started on gelcoating all the deck repairs I've made.

I was looking at pictures this morning and realized I started this whole project 3yrs ago come the middle of September. Wow! This has been a Long Haul!!!!!

RL