98 Hewes LT 18 Rehab

Reel Loco

[color:red]OUT OF THE ASHES ARISES THE PHOENIX[/color]!!!!! :):):)

Reel Loco and the wife took a ride to the boat yard today to see how the gelcoater is doing on the LT. I have to say I've been a little apprehensive about how this was going to turn out.

To our surprise.....

P1070978_zps96c606c3.jpg

P1070980_zpsa6304e82.jpg

P1070983_zps06deb0c5.jpg

P1070984_zps664e4ad6.jpg

P1070981_zps51cb1773.jpg

To say I am happy with the gelcoat job would be an understatement! I haven't talked to the gelcoater yet but the next step is to flip her over and and have him repair some gelcoat on the deck

RL

hehehee... don't they already have wax, coming out of the mold?

Yes, Squid.

There are a number of different types of mold release and wax/sanding additives during production and repairs which are used.

A mold release which is a type of wax is applied to the interior side of the mold before the gelcoat, resin and gl*** is applied.

Wax additive, (sanding additive) is added in the gelcoat when repairing a area or re-applying gelcoat outside of a mold.

There is also something called PVA which is a type of mold release which is sprayed verses hand rubbed wax releases.

Looking sweet RL.

Hello Gary,

Any ideas as to what you are going to use for power. I just threw a rod through the block of my 115 2strk yammie. I wonder if you are going 4 or 2 stroke. I feel as though there was no warning and nothing I could of done to prevent this so I'm a little concerned to go 2 stroke again.

yrod1,

Crawfish is right when he said I have not made up my mind. I am set on installing a 150hp but beyond that I'm not set on a 2 or 4 stroke. I love the instant power of a 2 stroke but I'm not liking the reliability factor on older 2 strokes. I love the fuel economy of the four strokes but along with that is price and more costly maintenance. I like yammies and the newer mercs but also like what I hear about the Zukes. So it will all come down to what I can afford and what's available when I'm ready to pull the trigger on a motor. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Gary

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I thought you were gonna paint it a shade of blue? Maybe I'm thinking of another boat...

[color:blue]I think at one point my wife was suggesting blue.[/color]

If it were me and I could afford it, I'd put a new 150 Pro XS OptiMax on the back.

[color:red]That's a possibility![/color]

http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines/outboards/optimax/proxs/?model=1

Gary,

I think after all that, I would hang it on the living room wall. Seriously, I would have to sell it so I wouldn't have to see that first ding. I tend to be a little rough on boats in and around mangroves etc.

Steve

Steve,

Guess I'm just going to have to face the fact it WILL get scratched and get over it or do as Skiffen16 does and put this one in the garage for photos and buy another to fish from. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The gelcoat man recommended that before I wax the new gelcoat that I should apply 3M Finesse-It II with a buffer using a foam pad. This would remove any leftover scratches.

After the Finesses-It II I applied Meguire's Flagship Premium Wax. I'm seriously considering using the hull for a wall hanging now! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

P1070993_zpsb8ab422d.jpg

Next step is to re-install the lifting eyes so we can flip her back over.

RL

Just had some work done on mine by a guy, Josh Crawford and his partner Mike. They used to build Action Craft boats. They are in North Cape Coral. These guys did an awesome job. The boat looks like new, almost as new as yours. They were able to match the non-skid with the exact same pattern. If you ever need anything like that done, I would highly recommend these guys. I know you do most of the work yourself, but just in case.

Steve