98 Hewes LT 18 Rehab

Reel Loco

• 1 month later...

Update time for the LT. I wasn't confident that my method for re-installing the floor was going to result in a professional looking job and kept Seadeck in the back of my mind in case I needed to cover it up. I decided to turn over the re-gelcoating (and non-skid) to the professional gelcoat man that did my hull. Good decision!!! He also re-gelcoated the entire perimeter of the deck to get rid of the numerous nicks, gouges & spider cracking. Initially he wanted to re-gelcoat the entire deck but the cost was prohibitive so I opted to compound and wax the rest of the deck and hatch covers. That was very time consuming and labor intense hense the long time between posts.

Deck reinstall with new nonskid finish.

P1080384_zps8d1b57ac.jpg

Hatch covers & rubrail back on.

P1080394_zpsf2aa9183.jpg

Jackplate reinstalled.

P1080390_zps3aca40e6.jpg

Wiring was started today. First order of business was to clean out the wire chase by pulling an old tee shirt thru a couple of times and sending the vacuum hose thru. Ran out of time (spent the morning finishing caulking the rubrail) and had to get ready for a dinner date. That brings us up to date. Looking forward to pulling the wiring harnesses and getting that center console re-installed. :)

RL

I'm still plugging away at the LT. Replaced the plastic thru hulls with all stainless steel fittings.

P1080133_zps92d318a5.jpg

P1080128_zpscc03f005.jpg

P1080154_zpsfc59902c.jpg

I beveled (@ 45 degrees) both the floor edge and the remaining lip on the liner to facilitate re-installation of the floor. I'm fabricating 3" wide x 6' long pcs of fibergl*** (from 1708 gl*** & resin) to fasten to the bottom of the lip.

P1080134_zps089247ca.jpg

P1080164_zpsb0b1a669.jpg

I'm enjoying re-***embly a whole lot more than ripping things apart. I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel! :):):)

RL

Loco would you mind posting what brand through hull fittings those are?

stallion,

The pump is an 1100GPH which according to my research should be plenty. The LT was set up like that when I purchased her. Nice thing about the large hatch if I should have to add another pump. :)

Squid & Mitz,

Thanks and I'll keep em coming until she's wet & slimy!!!

Gary You have to be really stoked!!! It's getting close, real close!! The crazy thing is, even when you're done and fishing, you will never throw away that 1708, resin, etc.! You never know when you will need it for another project!!! I know very well!!! Looks great!!

I just read through this, you're amazing, congrats on all the success. I have wanted to redo all my pumps, fittings,etc but was deterred by the tiny hatch until now. Thanks to your thread motivating me, i'm going to install a large hatch and redo the plumbing. Thank you. I love the line, anything fibergl*** on a boat can be repaired. you da man.....Nice motor.

Gary You have to be really stoked!!! It's getting close, real close!! The crazy thing is, even when you're done and fishing, you will never throw away that 1708, resin, etc.! You never know when you will need it for another project!!! I know very well!!! Looks great!!

DonV,

I am beyond stoked!!! I installed the bench seat today and the wife actually climbed aboard, sat down next to me and made motor sounds :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I still have a large pile of materials & tools on one side of my garage that I can't wait to clean up :)

I just read through this, you're amazing, congrats on all the success. I have wanted to redo all my pumps, fittings,etc but was deterred by the tiny hatch until now. Thanks to your thread motivating me, i'm going to install a large hatch and redo the plumbing. Thank you. I love the line, anything fibergl*** on a boat can be repaired. you da man.....Nice motor.

Finn,

Glad to hear you're going to tackle that hatch. You'll be glad you did :)

I'm not really that amazing. I just youtube most things and go from there. I'd be ashamed to admit how many of these different tasks I did two or three times until I got it right.

(I love the line, anything fibergl*** on a boat can be repaired. you da man....) can't take credit for that line as I read it in the forward of a repairing fibergl*** boats book I read online.

Thanks for the compliments.

RL

Looks way better than the last time I saw it, Gary! One more full day at the store and I can get back to my wiring and trailer rebuild.

Give me a shout if you need an extra hand pulling wire. Can't wait to help you slime her up this fall.

:):):)

Forgot to mention I have wire leftover you are welcome to.