98 Hewes LT 18 Rehab

Reel Loco

I was able to reach 50 mph on the Garmin with a 3 blade prop and a light load and trimmed. It does well and I am very happy with the RXB174 Powertech I'm using now. I am able to stay on plane at much lower speeds, about 11/12 mph. I usually run about 30 mph or less and feel a 150 would take less fuel for the same speed. The 130 likes to eat! I'm am by no means an expert on performance, but I think the 150 would be the best match up for my boat. I would rather have the extra and not use it than need it and not have it.

Steve

• 3 months later...

Finally I think I'm going to get over this hump I've been stuck on for the last three mos. I've had the hull repairs finished for quite a while and was trying to find a suitable place to paint or gelcoat the hull. My original plan was to just touchup the existing paint job. Further into the rebuild I realized the entire boat was going to have to be repainted. I removed ALL of the existing paint down to the original gelcoat. This opened up a whole new possibility as now the hull could also be re-gelcoated. Upon recieving a quote for either painting or gelcoating I decided to try painting the hull myself but needed to find a place to do that. I struggled in my mind with painting vs gelcoating as I feel the gelcoating is a much superior job but could not justify the extra amount over painting. After not much success with finding a place to paint the boat I decided to again get a couple of more quotes and consider having it professionaly done. This time the quotes were alot more reasonable. I chose David Young of Marine Gelcoat Services over another as gelcoating is all of his business and the other was a full service marine repair shop. David was also highly recommended by a fellow worker.

Picture backing into a covered spot at All American Boat Storage in Placida, FL.

P1070897_zpse7d9a2c7.jpg

P1070898_zps1bca8f0c.jpg

Wish me luck as I'm hoping she comes out looking brand new!

RL

Steve,

I'm hoping before the hot weather sets in again but that will probably depend on a couple of funding sources I'm waiting on for the motor purchase. Once it's gelcoated and flipped I'll have plenty to do. A fuel tank support, fuel tank, floor, center console, wiring harnesses, jack plate, trim tabs & actuators, thru hulls, lights, etc all have to be re-installed. I'm tired just typing all that...!

Thanks for asking,

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

TML,

Thanks for the compliment. I've probably enjoyed posting it as much as you have following the rebuild. I've learned alot thru this whole process and look forward to learning more but must admit I'm coming up short on the patience somewhat. I'm ready for this to be over and get on to the fishing part! Good part is I don't owe a penny on her as I've done the work as funds came available.

I talked to the gelcoat man yesterday and other than some sanding he hasn't done much on the LT. He's got a more pressing (42' sailboat he needs to finish by the end of the month). Patience, patience and more patience!

I've got another project I've been working on and if it turns out good you may see it posted on another section of the forum. Stay tuned!

RL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...