98 Hewes LT 18 Rehab

Reel Loco

Reel Loco is on a roll!!!!!!!

Worked on the LT for almost 8hrs straight today. I can smell the end! :)

Pulled in the new wiring harness, steering hoses and a couple spare pull strings. Purchased SS thru bolts, fender washers with lock nuts to fasten the center console aluminum angles to the deck instead of using the old SS screws.

P1080403_zpsdb39fe07.jpg

Installed the bench seat.

P1080404_zps1663fd03.jpg

She's getting there. Center console & wire terminations are next.!

P1080405_zps266ee1ba.jpg

RL

WTG Gary! Are you putting your TM batteries under console?

Bob,

I would have to agree that the best place for the troller batteries would be the center console. I'm even thinking of building a box like Squidmotion. Alot depends on the trolling motor and type of batteries I end up with.

Gary

Gary,

The box looks like a good idea, but it wouldn't work with mine with 27 size. I have to be able to tip and rotate as I left to get them through the seat. I like the extra capacity of the 27s. You could probably get away with the 24s, but I think you said your console was smaller, so maybe you should make a mock up and see if it works.

I have mine under the seat of my console. Works for me. I also like my 80# ipilot. Plenty of power, but should have gone with the 54 inch. The 60 is to high. Don't need the extra length and if I lower it out of the way, I'm constantly hitting the bottom. Really a pain when throwing the net. Considering cutting it down a bit.

p.s.

1998 Hewes Light Tackle 18 ( undergoing major restoration ) [color:red]no power yet[/color]

My wife said I don't have enough fishing equipment!

Bob,

I would have to agree that the best place for the troller batteries would be the center console. I'm even thinking of building a box like Squidmotion. Alot depends on the trolling motor and type of batteries I end up with.

Gary

i bet i can scare up a few photos of the box build, if it would do any good... i might also have some drawings/schematics if you need.

Gary,

The box looks like a good idea, but it wouldn't work with mine with 27 size. I have to be able to tip and rotate as I left to get them through the seat. I like the extra capacity of the 27s. You could probably get away with the 24s, but I think you said your console was smaller, [color:red]so maybe you should make a mock up and see if it works[/color].

Good idea! I'll wait on that as I don't have either the troller or batteries yet. Do have the older MG mount (was going to try to find good used troller to match the mount)

Bob,

Gary

i bet i can scare up a few photos of the box build, if it would do any good... i might also have some drawings/schematics if you need.

Sounds like Bob has em! :)

I have mine under the seat of my console. Works for me. I also like my 80# ipilot. Plenty of power, but should have gone with the 54 inch. The 60 is to high. Don't need the extra length and if I lower it out of the way, I'm constantly hitting the bottom. Really a pain when throwing the net. Considering cutting it down a bit.

p.s.

1998 Hewes Light Tackle 18 ( undergoing major restoration ) [color:red]no power yet[/color]

My wife said I don't have enough fishing equipment!

Steve,

80# 24V and 54/60" shaft would be my choice also.

Squid and Gary,

I downloaded the pictures and diagrams from Squid's build post. I can print them up and drop them off later this week to you Gary. I will be going by your area Friday or Saturday.

Bob,

Do you have them in file form on your PC? Looking forward to your visit Fri. or Sat.

Console looks good sitting in that boat!!

Progress almost every day now! :) Center console fit like a glove. Got her all fastened down with thru bolts & lock nuts. Shouldn't be coming loose any time too soon.

New decals showed up today. Will have to research youtube as I've never attempted those.

I'm liking her more every day!!!

P1080408_zpsb784e75f.jpg

RL

Busy day today. Mounted the hydraulic helm to the center console, installed the door frame to the center console, removed the plastic protective sheet from the windshield,installed the center console seat lid, redrilled the screw holes for the trim tab covers,installed my new 316 SS full port ball valve on the seachest and re-installed the livewell pump w/strainer. Last but not least, I puckered up and installed my new decals which after watching a how to video turned out fairly easy to do.

Some photos of today's progress.

P1080409_zps67eee155.jpg

P1080410_zps61c09453.jpg

P1080412_zpsaa6ae5e5.jpg

P1080414_zps0c0b91ea.jpg

RL

reminder, i have a few diagrams that i've sketched for battery wiring, hewes buds.

sorry, i haven't devloped a full 'harness' diagram. this is just for the batteries.

these were based on direct consultation with some very knowledgeable cats who know our boats inside and out. let's just say their names rhyme with 'berry' and 'lobo'...

i'm not gonna post these out in the open any longer, as it opens up too much useless debate on the 'correct' way to wire up batteries for trolling motors and house use. (and yes, this is the correct way)... heck, you can probably still find them on the site if you search.

so if you need these for multiple battery wiring and setup, launch me a PM, and i'll get you the .pdfs.