What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

On 1/5/2024 at 8:09 AM, searing said:

Finally made the console rod racks I’d been wanting to do for a long while. 
Since I moved my trolling motor battery to the console I lost my storage for quick but out of the way access to the tools I commonly used. I made more cutouts for those tools, and made the cup holder integrated to them as well. I haven’t permanently bolted and caulked them in yet. Just checked the fit and want to make sure there isn’t another tool I want to cut a slot for before I do the final bolt in. I’ll take any ideas for anything else that should go in that would fit.

IMG_5469.jpeg

IMG_5470.jpeg

On 1/5/2024 at 8:09 AM, searing said:

Finally made the console rod racks I’d been wanting to do for a long while. 
Since I moved my trolling motor battery to the console I lost my storage for quick but out of the way access to the tools I commonly used. I made more cutouts for those tools, and made the cup holder integrated to them as well. I haven’t permanently bolted and caulked them in yet. Just checked the fit and want to make sure there isn’t another tool I want to cut a slot for before I do the final bolt in. I’ll take any ideas for anything else that should go in that would fit.

IMG_5469.jpeg

IMG_5470.jpeg

Hi, Searing. I love your rod holder setup. I'm not sure how to interpret your post. Did you somehow fabricate the cupholder and the two metal strips that the pvc rod holders attach to? If so, that is amazing work! I have a 2008 Maverick Master Angler with a similar console and would love to replace my 3-rod holders per side with a set-up like yours. Can it be purchased anywhere? Thanks. Also, the cup holders appear to be in an ideal location. If your boat layout is like mine, they don't have any cup holders. I am always placing a Yeti of coffee or drink on the console floor, which is less than ideal. 

33 minutes ago, MikeH said:

Hi, Searing. I love your rod holder setup. I'm not sure how to interpret your post. Did you somehow fabricate the cupholder and the two metal strips that the pvc rod holders attach to? If so, that is amazing work! I have a 2008 Maverick Master Angler with a similar console and would love to replace my 3-rod holders per side with a set-up like yours. Can it be purchased anywhere? Thanks. Also, the cup holders appear to be in an ideal location. If your boat layout is like mine, they don't have any cup holders. I am always placing a Yeti of coffee or drink on the console floor, which is less than ideal. 

Hi Mike,

Thank you

I have a small CNC machine so I'm able to make a lot of things which I have for the boat. Problem is my machine is more for very high accuracy work but light duty so some of things I've done require some patience to not over load the machining forces. The black horizontal braces holding the 4 rod tubes on each side of the console were cut out of 3/4" black King Starboard. I made them because I wanted the cup holders to be integrated instead of clamp on stuff. I also wanted to make my own cutouts for tools I use and wanted handy. The stainless cup holders and white rod tubes I bought from Boat Outfitters and did the rest. The white ring inserts at the top of the stainless cup holders I also made from 1" white sheet starboard on a lathe. I made the ID of the rings to hold the Yeti cups a little more snug. I'm pretty sure if you wanted anything custom made boat outfitters will do it if you know what you want or can design it.

14 hours ago, MikeH said:

Hi Mike,

Google “Cuda Customs marine cup holders” . You want the one that will clamp on 1-1/2” - 2” diameter pipe and they come in white or black. They will give you a place to put your drink cups. I had them before I made my current setup.

IMG_5443.jpeg

The best part of the FMT for me is the overhead advantage to find new spots. I look for things like ditches, where dark meets light areas, grass, small cuts, oyster bars, etc…

Instead of spending time at my desk top looking at google map, I just zoom out from where I’m at on the water and see if anything looks good near me and try it out real quick before heading to trusted spots.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Just booked two nights at my favorite cheekie .

Pumped !

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

Out of curiosity how are the bugs on the chickees? I have wanted to do a trip and stay on the chickees. and have been down to Flamingo camping. I've spent many nights in the swamps of Lake O and that didn't hold a candle to how bad the mosquitos are in Flamingo when the sun starts to go down. Great place but with wintertime nights being 12+ hours it kinda *** spending 12 hours in a tent. Just wondering how the chickees compare bug wise.

7 hours ago, Tender said:

Out of curiosity how are the bugs on the chickees? I have wanted to do a trip and stay on the chickees. and have been down to Flamingo camping. I've spent many nights in the swamps of Lake O and that didn't hold a candle to how bad the mosquitos are in Flamingo when the sun starts to go down. Great place but with wintertime nights being 12+ hours it kinda *** spending 12 hours in a tent. Just wondering how the chickees compare bug wise.

Cannot speak for anytime other than Dec-Feb but during those months they aren’t terrible on the Chickees I’ve been to.  Have stayed at Rogers, Harney, South Joe and on land at Lonesome.  I would think that some of the Chickees that are closer to the mangroves would be a little more buggy..  Typically at dusk they get really active and after about 30 minutes to an hour they move on.  We use the heck out of thermacells.  Have the standard ones your get at walmart along with some of the type you connect to Jet Boil or Coleman fuel bottles.  Have been on a Chickee where r the neighboring group uses a huge tent that is pretty much a screen all the way around.  They stayed in that thing as soon as they got off of the water.  Rarely came out.  We all bring hammocks or 1 man tents and only get in them when we’re sleeping.  

• Like 1

Added a little bling in my piece of Marine Mat for the casting platform Ralph is making me. Can’t wait until it’s ready. :) I borrowed the design from a decal I saw on a truck a while ago. Then added the wave design since it looked incomplete without it.

IMG_5501.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/16/2024 at 8:45 AM, searing said:

Added a little bling in my piece of Marine Mat for the casting platform Ralph is making me. Can’t wait until it’s ready. :) I borrowed the design from a decal I saw on a truck a while ago. Then added the wave design since it looked incomplete without it.

IMG_5501.jpeg

That’s awesome.  I have a similar decal for my boat the “Big Sassy.”  The Pad decal is a little different than the vinyl.  Old FG 60qt that’s still hanging on in front of the CC.  

IMG_8074.jpeg

• Like 3

I have been struggling with the under gunnel carpet on my Hewes over the last two days.

I don't know if this was the original carpet but it is some serious stuff and they went extremely heavy on the glue in the back corners.

I have used Citrus stripper, kwik paint stripper, and I tried the dissolve it from ace hardware today with not much help. I have gotten it mostly done using a hammer and scraper but the corners dont have much room to work with. 

Going to try the heat gun tomorrow. 

4F61EE40-193E-4021-B08B-B326738CC3DD.jpeg

6A6B8F2F-69B2-4F6F-9B54-DC3AD537ED34.jpeg

5C3A70B3-F3FB-422F-BA49-20B8DAE36033.jpeg

3508403F-DCCE-4FA3-8B66-8AD3A046F801.jpeg