What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

Making the switch from 24 year old cable steering to hydraulic steering. Installed the helm pump and cylinder this weekend. Waiting on 14’ hoses to come in to finish it up. I also pulled the motor, gave everything a good cleaning and resealed while reinstalling it.
 Much to my surprise I found the motor was mounted 1/2” towards the starboard side. Is this a lazy and careless install mistake or is there a valid reason for this? I did mount it where it was due to not wanting to go through the work or time it would take to properly fill and relocate it dead center. 

IMG_5642.jpeg

IMG_5644.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Seriously?  That's crazy.  I'm going to check mine.  I've never noticed it being off center, but that's pretty bone headed, unless there's a reason (torque, etc?).

I wish I wasn’t serious.:( I’m praying it’s a functional deliberate reason. The alternative would be pretty sad when you consider of all the rigging, mounting the motor has got to be up there with number one in importance.  
Let me know what you find when you check yours.

2 hours ago, George Seither said:

I don’t think this is the case but are the motor mount bolts a bit undersized allowing the motor to twist a bit? 

Not at all, the bolts fit fully through the motor mount holes. I’m hoping there’s a reason and I learn something, but I’m not confident I will. The torque I always thought was compensated for by rotating the trim tab fin on the motor. :(

10 hours ago, smilemaker said:

Personally I would  be more concerned about it  being  truly  perpendicular than the  slight offset. Trimming and turning  would  be affected far more with a slight cant.

It was pretty much right on vertically, and I feel I got it even closer.

20 hours ago, smilemaker said:

Personally I would  be more concerned about it  being  truly  perpendicular than the  slight offset. Trimming and turning  would  be affected far more with a slight cant.

My Redfisher motor bolt holes were 1/8" high on the starboard side.  You wouldn't think that was much to be concerned about, but it translated to a noticeable amount off center, down at the prop.  It caused instability and chine-walking at higher speeds.  I ended up compensating for it in the jack plate and setback spacers by drilling holes unevenly to straighten it out.  Motor mounting needs to be precisely centered, level and plumb.  Any of those things done wrong will affect the ride and performance in a bad way.

I had another boat (not MBG) where the trim tabs were about 1/2" off on their spacing from the chines - starboard tab was closer to the starboard chine than the port tab was to the port chine.  The boat always leaned more to port on plane.  Some of that was torque, but not all of it for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geeviam said:

My Redfisher motor bolt holes were 1/8" high on the starboard side.  You wouldn't think that was much to be concerned about, but it translated to a noticeable amount off center, down at the prop.  It caused instability and chine-walking at higher speeds.  I ended up compensating for it in the jack plate and setback spacers by drilling holes unevenly to straighten it out.  Motor mounting needs to be precisely centered, level and plumb.  Any of those things done wrong will affect the ride and performance in a bad way.

I had another boat (not MBG) where the trim tabs were about 1/2" off on their spacing from the chines - starboard tab was closer to the starboard chine than the port tab was to the port chine.  The boat always leaned more to port on plane.  Some of that was torque, but not all of it for sure.

No comment.:(

Well - I replaced my trolling motor batteries on December 30, 2022.   I decided to roll the dice and go cheapo, one-year warranty walmart at 97 bucks each for group 27s.

Precisely 1 year and 2 months later, one of the batteries has gone bad on me. . . lesson learned.   

• Sad 2

I received the longer hoses and got to finish and test the hydraulic steering. For the hose length mistake they upgraded my hoses to SeaStar Pro Kevlar hoses with stainless fittings at no additional charge. What a huge difference compared to my 24yr old cable steering. Literally two fingers on the steering knob at any speed is possible. 
For those who wish to upgrade to hydraulic steering in their 16’ RF 14’ long hoses is the length you’ll need at a minimum.

IMG_5651.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/7/2024 at 2:07 PM, whichwaysup said:

Well - I replaced my trolling motor batteries on December 30, 2022.   I decided to roll the dice and go cheapo, one-year warranty walmart at 97 bucks each for group 27s.

Precisely 1 year and 2 months later, one of the batteries has gone bad on me. . . lesson learned.   

WWU, I purchased 2 grp27 Duracell's recently hopefully they will last at least 4 years....My house battery is an X2 grp 31 AGM which comes with a 4 year free replacement warranty....little more expensive but I think worth it.  X2 gap 31 $500.00

the pair of Duracell's went for $500.00

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RacerxV6 said:

Anyone else experience this?  Don’t really want to just tape it with electrical tape. Was thinking of dunking in that rubberized stuff. 

IMG_0769.jpeg

Yea... mines getting like that, cover cant take the sun to well. I dont think there is a short cut solution for that, tape will just get gooey or un ravel better off buying a replacement.  Just noticed Ameritrail doesnt carry the coiled one anymore maybe itll last longer

https://ameratrailparts.com/collections/wiring-electrical/products/5-to-7-way-harness-adapter-4-5-ft-optronics

26 minutes ago, FINCHASER said:

Yea... mines getting like that, cover cant take the sun to well. I dont think there is a short cut solution for that, tape will just get gooey or un ravel better off buying a replacement.  Just noticed Ameritrail doesnt carry the coiled one anymore maybe itll last longer

https://ameratrailparts.com/collections/wiring-electrical/products/5-to-7-way-harness-adapter-4-5-ft-optronics

Seems like a reasonable solution....or enclose in a wire harness cover....for a few $$

dc