What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

Had a little excitement this weekend. Got the boat back from the shop with the new (to me) trim and tilt motor installed.  Noticed on Sunday that the throttle/shifting felt “off” but it was so minor that I forgot to look into it when I got home.  Took the boat out yesterday and as the day progressed, it got more and more sketchy.  It wouldnt come out of gear, shifted in different spots, and the throttle became incredibly tight and unreliable.  Finally decided it was too unsafe to continue the trip, so called it early (TM battery also crapped out on e, another story).  Headed back to the ramp but knew I needed to be ready for something to go wrong.   It did.  

As I pulled into the dock, I tried to pulle the engine out of gear.  Not only did it not get out of gear, the engine accelerated suddenly, with the boat pointed right up the concrete ramp.  I pulled the kill switch and both my buddy and i grabbed the dock, managing to stop the boat just before it hit the ramp.   We will both be sore, but no damage to people or property.   

Got home and found the issue.  The throttle and shifter cables had either not been put back into, or had come out of, the retaining bracket.  Simple fix, but could have been catastrophic. 

IMG_5838.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

21 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Had a little excitement this weekend. Got the boat back from the shop with the new (to me) trim and tilt motor installed.  Noticed on Sunday that the throttle/shifting felt “off” but it was so minor that I forgot to look into it when I got home.  Took the boat out yesterday and as the day progressed, it got more and more sketchy.  It wouldnt come out of gear, shifted in different spots, and the throttle became incredibly tight and unreliable.  Finally decided it was too unsafe to continue the trip, so called it early (TM battery also crapped out on e, another story).  Headed back to the ramp but knew I needed to be ready for something to go wrong.   It did.  

As I pulled into the dock, I tried to pulle the engine out of gear.  Not only did it not get out of gear, the engine accelerated suddenly, with the boat pointed right up the concrete ramp.  I pulled the kill switch and both my buddy and i grabbed the dock, managing to stop the boat just before it hit the ramp.   We will both be sore, but no damage to people or property.   

Got home and found the issue.  The throttle and shifter cables had either not been put back into, or had come out of, the retaining bracket.  Simple fix, but could have been catastrophic. 

IMG_5838.jpeg

I’ve owned a lot of older Yamahas and I’ve had this happen more than once.  The cables eventually walk out of those slots.  I use a long black tie wrap to keep the clip closed.  It’s never happened again.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lap it Up said:

I’ve owned a lot of older Yamahas and I’ve had this happen more than once.  The cables eventually walk out of those slots.  I use a long black tie wrap to keep the clip closed.  It’s never happened again.  

I have seen that on previous engines. Think I will do that on this one too.  Great call!

I went in a slightly different direction....decided to use a YETI grab box for tackle with a top insert.....

So far, carries everything I need for a guide trip or personal fishing.

When I get back, just replace what was used.

what I like about the set up :(1) very heavy....sits in the corner of the HPS on deck (2) 100% waterproof (3) easy to grab and open (4) carries popping corks, hooks, lures, etc. in two trays plus a few bags for DOA's etc.

yet3tacklebag.thumb.jpg.72e0907c7bb81e5ebae82e9efd3d4140.jpg

yeti2tackle.thumb.jpg.8a9ad1415e730d746d5fcda40407ab6a.jpg

yetitackle.thumb.jpg.96207644c631d70828f7c9c941252337.jpg

On 2/20/2024 at 9:05 AM, rubble said:

If all wireless communications go down for whatever reason, going back to the hatch and manually deploying/stowing would be a PITA.  

Rubble

Don't forget, you can control the pump from the top of the power unit....up and down etc. in the event of a wireless communication loss and don't forget to install the app for your phone,...if you have a SIMRAD you can also hook it to the SIMRAD and control it as well.

DC

On 2/21/2024 at 5:23 AM, Lap it Up said:

Do you have a photo of your tie wrap setup?  

22 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Rubble

Don't forget, you can control the pump from the top of the power unit....up and down etc. in the event of a wireless communication loss and don't forget to install the app for your phone,...if you have a SIMRAD you can also hook it to the SIMRAD and control it as well.

DC

Yes.  Just a PITA to open hatch and get back there if remote coms go down.  Better than nothing I suppose.

On another note, I'm not getting a Depth Reading while running FMT Chart.  I can go to the Down or Side views and get the depth but for some reason it's not showing up here.  Any Suggestions?

Also, How can you connect the PP to Simrad?  

IMG_1371.jpeg

28 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

The transducer gives two separate signals. One is for regular sonar the other is for downscan/ sides can.

When setting overlays be sure to set it for the one you want.

It is possible to have sonar cut off and downscan on.

I just need "Depth" to show up in this spot.  What would be the steps to get it there.  I'm pretty limited to knowledge of the Simrad landscape so I'm not really sure where to begin.  Just followed the Isla instructions to get the maps up and running.  That's the extent of my Simrad background.  

34 minutes ago, rubble said:

I just need "Depth" to show up in this spot.  What would be the steps to get it there.  I'm pretty limited to knowledge of the Simrad landscape so I'm not really sure where to begin.  Just followed the Isla instructions to get the maps up and running.  That's the extent of my Simrad background.  

Watch this video. It's how to do it on the Lowrance but I'm pretty sure your it will be the same for editing Overlays on your unit. When you get to your depth overlay on the Nav screen try turning it off and then make sure to hit save. Then go back in and add the depth overlay and save again. You could also reboot in between the turning off the overlay and when you go back in to add the depth overlay.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rubble said:

I haven't set it up on my new Simrad Evo3, but, on my Lowrance (similar operating systems), it would come up as a blue tooth add-on and would automatically set it up....check on YouTube and see if there is a tutorial on there...

dc

Careful guys the is Simrad software is not the same a lowrance. Example. No data overlay that I can find on the EVO as an example. You have to use the black menu on the side. The nmea183 connection on the simrad is a separate cable (purchased separately). I am just getting started. 

On 2/28/2024 at 9:17 AM, rubble said:

Yes.  Just a PITA to open hatch and get back there if remote coms go down.  Better than nothing I suppose.

On another note, I'm not getting a Depth Reading while running FMT Chart.  I can go to the Down or Side views and get the depth but for some reason it's not showing up here.  Any Suggestions?

IMG_1371.jpeg

You gotta get in the menus and find the one that allows you to edit the data.  Typically in your scenario the lack of the info is due to the source not being selected to tell the unit where to get the data

On 2/28/2024 at 7:25 PM, Headhunter said:

Thanks but I want the data bar to go away and over lay the data on the navigation screen so I can use the whole screen..

You can make the data bar go away but you cannot overlay the data.... that was a deal breaker for me sone years back while trying to decide to go with sim or Lowrance, I went lowrance

• Like 1