What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

Old CMD4 bit the dust and I was stuck in FL away from my shop and had to do a makeshift trim piece to install a new Fusion head unit.  Opted for the MS-RA670 because I found a deal but turns out there is a glitch in that unit or it’s updated software.  Fusion shipped out a new unit and I received next day.  Swapped out the units and had the same issue.  After installing the update, upon powering up the unit it would not stay on an FM station.  Turns out there is a glitch that happens when the FM antenna is plugged in.  The thing doesn’t operate without the antenna.  Fusion asked if I ever listened to FM and of course I did so they just said that they would let me know when they found a solution.  It could include a new update, a new unit or a different unit/model that doesn’t have the glitch.  Gotta say that their service was decent but that’s a real bummer that it isn’t working properly.  

When I get the boat back to KY I’m looking at doing a new Starboard piece on the helm to reconfigure the radio, gauge and PP switch.  Probably looking at a rewire as well. 

IMG_1830.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Replacing my 21 yr old Gem Lux hinges .

Da Critter gonna be crik creepin next weekend.

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

IMG_2447.jpeg

IMG_2477.jpeg

IMG_2475.jpeg

IMG_2478.jpeg

Nice! May I ask where you found them? Looking to get a couple of spares. I’m sure you already know this and did it, you want to fully bed them in sealant so no saltwater can ever get in between the glass and hinges. I had to pull and clean up the hinges and glass due to sealant going away over the years or maybe not done right in the first place. I used 3m 4000uv. Two years now and not a hint of rust stain now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Tried a new standing surface , on this platform .

Had no idea Starboard makes a non skid product .

Has great traction , and is east to work with

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

IMG_2482.jpeg

I didn't know that either Ralph - how is that supported on the bottom?  Any pics?

On Sunday took the Hewes RF18 offshore 20ish miles out of Jax to see if the kingfish have started showing up on the wrecks. Missed a couple and landed one small one, also played with some endangered red snapper up to 15ish lbs.

• Like 4

Love the original 21RF design. Mine was fast with a 200 vmax. I’m sure that 250 makes it a rocket ship.

1F4A8765-9AF5-434D-96BB-CA17433C3BA1.thumb.png.a3930de4ba79efbfaf5ca107c3e1600e.png
17236D83-514B-4A15-A375-EED45E74670D.thumb.png.e2e9878499e1c8c22cb979357fba2d46.png

I really miss that boat. If I could have stuffed her in the garage when I moved I would have kept it.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Dixie said:

Tore up the bottom end of the old 250VMAX 2 smoker…could’ve fixed it but didn’t want to put money into a 16 year old motor.  New SHO and new poles because….well, why not.  She’ll get over it 🤣😂

IMG_4478.jpeg

IMG_4479.jpeg

Holy Choot! That SHO is a thing of beauty! 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 8:20 AM, Dixie said:

Tore up the bottom end of the old 250VMAX 2 smoker…could’ve fixed it but didn’t want to put money into a 16 year old motor.  New SHO and new poles because….well, why not.  She’ll get over it 🤣😂

IMG_4478.jpeg

IMG_4479.jpeg

So...Did the break-in today between Jacksonville and Palatka.  Old motor had a 25in prop, ran good but candidly I never ran it wide open so I don't know what it would do.  The motor was out of warranty when I bought it so I treated her nice.  45 mph @ 4500 RPM was fine.  Ken at Prop Gods said I would be better with a 21in 3 blade from Powertech so I pulled the trigger.  Hole shot great, 4300 RPM = 48 mph, but...But I could not run without substatial tab or it would start to porpoise.  If I trimmed the engine up any more than a hair, it started to porpoise.  So having said that, I could only get 5000 RPM trimmed all the way down and with some tab in it.  Frustrating for sure, but overall it was OK.  Put 5.3 hrs on her.  Fun fact...the Bassmaster guys are in Palatka this weekend and they pass you like your'e sitting still :)

Take a walkabout and look at the props on those bass boats. You will get an idea of what would be much better application for your boat. You put a hot motor on your boat and you will not see the true potential without a great prop.  I bet a better prop that has more lift will do away with the pourpoiseing and let you get the rpm up quite a bit. Running a flashed SHO on a 22 pathfinder I would agree a 23 three blade should get you in the rpm range.