What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

On 3/22/2024 at 7:55 PM, BradM said:

Not for the actual boat, but the trailer is in need of some maintenance. I ran down to Ameri-Trail yesterday and picked up some new axles with new brakes and Vortex hubs. My trailer is only 5 years old and well maintained for the most part. I went to move the boat out of the barn after an 6 month slumber and heard a squealing noise, which was caused by a caliper resting on a rotor. The caliper bracket on the hub is gone from rust and the other three aren’t far behind. I picked up some POR-15 and will dissemble the brakes and hubs and paint everything I can reach with this stuff. I also picked up some nylon washers to isolate the dissimilar metals from each other. At this point, I’m researching and considering adding sacrificial anodes to each torsion arm. People talk about the trauma from holding their dad’s flashlight when they were a kid, mine was bleeding brakes with my old man. Guess what my son gets to do this weekend 😜

IMG_4414.jpeg

My routine is as follows - 

1.) Bought a new large Dewalt sprayer - 2.5 gallons

2.) I add salt off at a heavy concentration into the sprayer

3.) When we take the BEAST out of the water after a launch - I then sprary the brakes and axels with a good soaking (bunks, tie downs, etc.) - spray the bunks with lubricant so it sits all day on the bunks....lots of light coats.

4.) when I bring it back on the trailer - the same - spray it agains.

5.) I was told by the guys at AMERATRAIL you must spray immediately upon launching or the salt will dry and cause rust....make sense...then again, when you pick it up out of the water.

6.) when I get home - another washing with fresh water....or I stop on the alligator alley and dunk it for 30 secs.

so far, no rust of any signficance...

DC

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

My routine is as follows - 

1.) Bought a new large Dewalt sprayer - 2.5 gallons

2.) I add salt off at a heavy concentration into the sprayer

3.) When we take the BEAST out of the water after a launch - I then sprary the brakes and axels with a good soaking (bunks, tie downs, etc.) - spray the bunks with lubricant so it sits all day on the bunks....lots of light coats.

4.) when I bring it back on the trailer - the same - spray it agains.

5.) I was told by the guys at AMERATRAIL you must spray immediately upon launching or the salt will dry and cause rust....make sense...then again, when you pick it up out of the water.

6.) when I get home - another washing with fresh water....or I stop on the alligator alley and dunk it for 30 secs.

so far, no rust of any signficance...

DC

Thank you for the tips, DC! Depending on the ramp, we sometimes have fresh water and always rinse going in and coming out which isn't enough, but the idea of salt off in a pump sprayer is perfect! I'm going to post a separate thread sometime soon outlining what I found in breaking down brand-new fresh from the factory axles, and what I did to hopefully mitigate any issues for fellow members. Keep in mind I was always one of the "I'll just carry a spare hub with me" guys. Needless to say, more tools have been added to my "must haves" for a road trip. 

• Like 1

Brad.... please post a thread on applying the POR and follow up with how it works out once yo start dunking it. 

Rinsing with a pressure sprayer is solid advice I use plain water (it works just fine) but the biggest cause of the rust on the hubs, brakes and end of the axles is the carpet and wood that makes up the inner liner of the fender.  

On my last trailer (for my last boat, which I did not rinse off after launch) I deleted those and used a piece of black starboard for the liner when I replaced the axles.  Doing that made a huge difference slowing rust progression to a crawl.... but I also went to a non replaceable spindle on that axle because thats a virtual rust farm almost impossible to stop.  But that carpet and wood soaks up the salt water and gradually drips for hours after launch.  So If you have carpet and wood devote alot of the water to rinsing those off itll be a big help but you cant get the salt water outta the wood to well so still less than ideal.

On my 2500 Ive religiously rinsed the carpet / wood, hubs, axles etc after every launch but rusting started pretty fast and after 2 years they were pretty ugly.  Theres not much clearance between the fender liner and hull and even tho I recessed the bolt heads with the starboard on last trailer Im not comfortable going that route this time... my new plan is to use PVC board and put sea deck on the boat facing side.

The last weak link to solve in this is the drain hole in the bottom of the V of the axle thats where rust will still shorten axle life.

Cleaned all the contacts on my TM system in a last ditch effort to address the amp issue I have had. Ordered new wire just in case i need to rewire the system, but didnt have an issue on my last trip, so I may not need to yet.  

Also replaced my torn tempress seat cushion.  I ripped it when I tripped and almost fell overboard. My son caught me just before I went fully into the drink, but I managed to get 3/4 of the way in!  

Finally removed the motheaten carpet under my gunnel. Its been flapping around looking like hell. Not sure what to do to replace it, but thinking cheap sea deck stuff or maybe just carpet again.  Open to (inexpensive) suggestions. 

IMG_6079.jpeg

IMG_6080.jpeg

IMG_6078.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, not an MBG boat, but in the family.  Son bought an old G3 that had been sitting on carpeted bunks, causing pinholes.  He got tired of wet feet and decided to fix it uo, and attack the traiker at the same time.  New territory for both of us, but we ground it down, sanded, and stripped the old paint, then applied Gluvit epoxy to the bottom (apparently the most common fix).  He finished repainting it this past weekend and then spent the last few days beating, grinding, and sanding down rust from his galvanized trailer.  Its coated in Ospho now and will get a new galvanized paint job this week, and probably new bearings, hubs, and wheels.  

Very cool to see my son not only take an interest in boats, but an interest in fixing them!  

IMG_6115.jpeg

IMG_5945.jpeg

IMG_6033.jpeg

IMG_6088.jpeg

IMG_6112.jpeg

• Like 4