What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

• 3 weeks later...

Been having fun with my trolling motor system.   Started to realize there was an issue when the batteries died on me on a short trip but I hadn’t charged the boat the night before and had left the TM plugged in, so I hoped that was the cause.  Still my spider senses told me something was up.   

Charged her up the next day and checked the charger indicator lights inside the console.  All went green.   Fished the next day and within 2 hrs the motor was dead as a doornail.  

Something definitely wrong.  Dreaded the idea of buying two new troller batteries and again spider senses kicked in saying that wasn’t it.  Realized later that I had just replaced them when I had the boat restored 2 yrs ago.  

Decided to do some poking around and noticed that one of the fuse holders on the charging leads didn’t look right.  Sure enough the fuse had completely melted inside the holder.  Checked the other three and found plenty of corrosion which explained the heat/resistance.   Ordered more fuse holders and cleaned up the ones I could still use.  Plenty of dialectric grease in all of them now.   

Charged up the batts today and they seemed to take the amount of time I would expect so hoping I solved the mystery (still not sure why the charger gave me a green light on the batt with the burned up fuse).   

Poked around more and found that the wire coming out of the breaker was melting and had a very bad connection.   Fixed that and now thinking I need to go check a few more fuses and connections.   The TM system was the only part we didn’t rewire. 

5FA1601B-4ECE-4216-85DE-F21D6B41B283.jpeg

4C88FC7C-3C26-4D36-87C3-E523E4AA9CFC.jpeg

5175104C-B620-48C6-B903-B404ACD55856.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, SouthernWake said:

Worst thing I’ve done to my boat in awhile… poled around an HPXS 

You wanna know something wierd?   A buddy of mine bought an older Hell's bay and let me pole it.   I thought for sure that doing so would make me question my Mav MA.   I was really disappointed at how hard it still was.   I am sure it got skinnier, and I'm sure it was easier, but not 30k easier!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

You wanna know something wierd?   A buddy of mine bought an older Hell's bay and let me pole it.   I thought for sure that doing so would make me question my Mav MA.   I was really disappointed at how hard it still was.   I am sure it got skinnier, and I'm sure it was easier, but not 30k easier!

I so wish that was my case.

I pole 100% of the time and need to move to something more technical. This may have just moved my timeline up a good bit.

• Sad 1

Nothing with the boat, but the boat truck got all new brakes.  Brake job consisted of new Master Cylinder, rotors, pads, calipers.  Rear got new drums shoes hardware and cylinders.  Drained and blew all lines.  Rears had not been touched ever and this is a 96.  Drums were rusted and lipped so it took 2-3 hours just to get off.  But in the end it stops like a brand new truck again.

• 2 weeks later...

Let’s see if we can get this thread back on topic as they say. I did a little upgrade to the Redfisher steering. The manual steering was reaching the end of its useful life so I upgraded to a Baystar system. While doing the upgrade I went with the tilt helm. I think I’m gonna like flipping the wheel up out of the way while moving around the boat. The only thing left is buying the nut for the wheel. I figured it was going to take the larger nut but I did not buy it before getting the helm to make sure.  Oh and a pic added of my helper holding the fluid while bleeding the system. 

B63C6D2C-9C23-4B2A-9FA6-29511DC2D585.jpeg

EF01DF0A-97E1-4F34-B6CF-C84B8C7E9533.jpeg

14149BF6-FBE2-4D2E-B714-15DEB2C3F3DD.jpeg

4255A7D1-AF30-4FD1-A4A4-B81FCBABF057.jpeg

A6F76675-54F8-46F1-B792-D5EDB55109F9.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HoneyB said:

Let’s see if we can get this thread back on topic as they say. I did a little upgrade to the Redfisher steering. The manual steering was reaching the end of its useful life so I upgraded to a Baystar system. While doing the upgrade I went with the tilt helm. I think I’m gonna like flipping the wheel up out of the way while moving around the boat. The only thing left is buying the nut for the wheel. I figured it was going to take the larger nut but I did not buy it before getting the helm to make sure.  Oh and a pic added of my helper holding the fluid while bleeding the system. 

B63C6D2C-9C23-4B2A-9FA6-29511DC2D585.jpeg

EF01DF0A-97E1-4F34-B6CF-C84B8C7E9533.jpeg

14149BF6-FBE2-4D2E-B714-15DEB2C3F3DD.jpeg

4255A7D1-AF30-4FD1-A4A4-B81FCBABF057.jpeg

A6F76675-54F8-46F1-B792-D5EDB55109F9.jpeg

Looking good!   Brilliant set up, btw!