What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

Couple trips ago during a tournament I hit a tree with the trolling motor and didn’t realize it but I broke the steering collar on my riptide. It’s the top piece that locks the steering in place. Anyway I purchased two new ones a replacement and another spare for future breakage. So I took today and replaced that collar. I would say this repair is probably a 6 out of a 10. Here a couple picture’s. 2-3 hours repair time. 

17FD725C-7F27-4828-9167-A28801E3952F.jpeg

16774C6B-1150-48AE-AB63-6132E99E5605.jpeg

58990384-F748-493D-9ABE-E6899A388327.jpeg

A48FA268-A5B0-4D3C-AFCE-34D5669EE7F1.jpeg

038BFEFD-F0AB-4BB3-82E3-57CB492A3E59.jpeg

3678367C-13F5-461E-9342-6FDD96D9106A.jpeg

7B3418DF-7DC8-4300-8AE3-88B42A41C26A.jpeg

71190279-B2E1-4CC5-BC75-91C59B46B733.jpeg

0BFF56DE-2D11-4FC0-9070-A2FE665AA4AF.jpeg

F1AE4061-C2D1-4612-A5E3-811321CF957C.jpeg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

Well after looking at my pictures I think I have my aluminum shaft in upside down...well, tear down again to validate even though it worked after reassembly....

Been there done that....not on MK, but, other boating projects.....

We all realize (those of DIY'rs) that the work for repair is normally not technically difficult, but, more about specialized tools and some OEM training....

I have enjoyer your DIY work..

dc

2 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Been there done that....not on MK, but, other boating projects.....

We all realize (those of DIY'rs) that the work for repair is normally not technically difficult, but, more about specialized tools and some OEM training....

I have enjoyer your DIY work..

dc

Thanks WFF, I may leave it and run it once to see how it does because I got to looking and the main gear is still at the correct height.  The only thing I can think of is if I hit something the gear may pop up because it does not have the grooves to rely on to keep it in place, the gear is sitting on them with about 1/2 of contact....I'll let ya'll know what I do ....

A few weeks ago, I installed a new Raymarine Axiom 9-RV using my old Raymarine Downview transducer.  Well, a few weeks after purchase, the unit went on sale (West Marine) and they included a $400 side scan + Downview + 3D transducer.   I went back and talked to management and they refunded me the price difference and gave me the new transducer. Awesome!  One thing about these units is that the navigation charts microSD card port is on the back of the unit.  The specific card they gave me wasn’t fitting as snug as it should (it was only this specific microSD card. I tried others with no issue). It’s a huge pain in the rear to access the back of the unit and move the card until it made contact with the pins inside the unit. I decided to purchase a remote card port with USB slot. Mounted them in the glove box and works great and gives me an easy place to charge anything using USB style cords. 

C9E34FD9-A208-4868-B9E4-AFEA5ACD4B0F.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 6:16 PM, dabear said:

Brad M that’s always a great feeling to pay one off while it still looks brand new . Plus it really bothers me when I am making payments and can’t use it weekly more than it does after she’s pId off . That’s a great looking boat . 

Thanks! She's about to turn 3, and only has 135 hours on it. 

• Like 1

Well, here is what I did -   I filled my oil reservoir and left the cap off without realizing it.  First indication that something was amiss was when I hooked it up to the truck last night and found some odd blue stuff floating in water in a tub behind the boat (honestly not sure why that tub is there, but it sits under my bulge drain ever since I got the boat back).   My spider senses told me something was wrong but I couldn’t figure out where it could have come from.  
this am at 6, I went to turn my power switch on and my hand was greasy. .. clue #2.    

Started searching around and found the reservoir open and oil all over my beautiful, formerly spotless bilge, battery, wiring.   GRRRR.    lost the cap too, so now have to track that down and probably remove my battery, reservoir, etc.    

Ahhh,    Boats!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Well, here is what I did -   I filled my oil reservoir and left the cap off without realizing it.  First indication that something was amiss was when I hooked it up to the truck last night and found some odd blue stuff floating in water in a tub behind the boat (honestly not sure why that tub is there, but it sits under my bulge drain ever since I got the boat back).   My spider senses told me something was wrong but I couldn’t figure out where it could have come from.  
this am at 6, I went to turn my power switch on and my hand was greasy. .. clue #2.    

Started searching around and found the reservoir open and oil all over my beautiful, formerly spotless bilge, battery, wiring.   GRRRR.    lost the cap too, so now have to track that down and probably remove my battery, reservoir, etc.    

Ahhh,    Boats!!!

break out a bottle of DAWN :)

dc

• Like 1

lots of little things....

for some reason the trim tabs weren't working properly..I took out the switch (that I previously had installed) and found the screw had come loose and then broke....bottom left where the red wire goes.....I was able to unscrew it with a pliers and back on line we go.....uggh, anyways, got it fixed....

IMG_3039.thumb.jpg.ea8b3a5c5db688d5f5866071ef0075ec.jpg

I had the front decal of the cowling broken since I bought the Ghost...I ordered it from Parts Vu, 3 months ago, it finally arrived and installed it today...

IMG_3051.thumb.jpg.be0a85fe098076b489e716e87d61eb24.jpg

IMG_3053.thumb.jpg.0e33b209c3ede0a9c8f24bbd6b818a51.jpg

been running in lots of low tide situations....which usually results in a few .....Whooooo whooooo whoop's....I made a small tool to clean the pee line....simple...used a old popping cork and just used the wire....I had made one previously and for some reason lost it :(

IMG_3055.thumb.jpg.d1fb277e8d994202b62060505e3fafd5.jpg

Went to my happy place :( WAWA to fill up the skiff for tomorrow's adventure with Mike Seg.    we are off to points South in the a.m. !!!   Last trip we ran 92 mile....and burned 27 or so gallons, plus/minus...so, the 115 2 smoker is holding fast at about 3.3 - 3.5 gpm....it's great having the 40 gallon tank upgrade !!! 

Is there some reason that people do not understand that after you fill your tank, you can move the vehicle, and then go into the WAWA to buy some things....well, they leave the car for sometimes 10-15 minutes, while they wait for the sub or whatever.....never fails....but, I don't like going at 0400 unless I'm picking up DonH off 84....so, I go during normal hours, and do my breathing exercises to relax :)

538325518_IMG_30382.thumb.jpg.e3e6d5d4f9ad27c74b26667a20ee69e4.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Headed over in AM as well .
Rollin solo tomorrow !

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

Tough day today.....1/2 doz snook, a few trout and lots of casting :(

Water temp perfect - 71-76 during the day....but, just seems a bit strange on the water.......no negative tide, but, there will be many that will be coming home really late.

NE Wind blew out the water....we came in 1 hr ahead of the low in Choko....and there were boats sitting in the mud at the  Marina....

Enjoy your vacation.....

dc

• 2 weeks later...

After two years of my hydraulic steering system dripping and having to periodically add fluid, I replaced the seals on the cylinder and the helm steering wheel shaft.  Thankfully, the project went VERY smoothly.  

After watching some videos of people really struggling to get the brackets off the cylinder and breaking cheap pin wrenches, I found a really nice tool and bleeding tubing set from Outboard Specialty Tools.  It made all the difference.

https://outboardst.com/product/hydraulic-steering-rebuild-kit/

I opted for the genuine Seastar seals.  Hopefully they will hold up.

Cheers,

Bud

PXL_20220108_222054161.thumb.jpg.de7a3d9943af7de97ff2bb5ec9762067.jpg

PXL_20220108_222207415.thumb.jpg.41e457081a28e639e1581662bff76ecd.jpg

• Like 1

Took the boat out for a couple hours yesterday day.  Haven't had er out for almost a month with holidays and things needing to get done.  20 something degrees found some bait couldn't ge them to bite.   Came home and ordered the 100 hr service kit from partsVU.  Then ordered some baits from tackle warehouse for a tournament Saturday. 

• Like 1

Made and installed some fins on the outside edges of both trim tabs, to carve sharper turns at higher speeds.  They work very well, and as an added bonus, they generate more lift for quicker hole-shot and a more stable ride.  It's 1/8" thick stainless plate for the fin and a backing plate on the inside edge of the tabs.

IMG_0465_SM.jpg

IMG_0467_SM.jpg

IMG_0468_SM.jpg

IMG_0469_SM.jpg

• Like 3