What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

I have started the change over to ethanol free fuel. We have a new Royal Farms gas station and they sell it at a reasonable price (I guess). The pumps I have used to fill the 2005TRS fuel tank did not constantly kick off after about 7/10 of a gallon pumped. Has been a real pain in the rear up till now. They have the best pump access too. 

So the first 25 gals is in the tank and represents 1/2 the fuel currently onboard. I did NOT add a stabilizer. I use a tank of fuel, this time of year, every couple months or less. What I hope to get out of the switch a smidge better performance and eliminate concerns about fuel separation. 

Maybe someone can share other reasons to do or not do this.

Currituck 

I made the switch many years ago when I was in Florida after my high pressure fuel pump failed 25 miles offshore of Miami.  That was a long tow!  Between that and when I saw what ethanol did to my weed wacker's tubing, I made the switch.  There was only one place to get it the time in Satellite Beach, but then Wawa showed up and they had it for less.  

When I moved to Va. the only place to get EF is in NC.  Fortunately I am only a few miles from NC so I would go to either Knotts Island or the Liberty gas station in Coinjock.  I did see that the gas prices in NC have dropped with all of the new stations opening.  There is a large 7-11 that opened just over the border.  

I use EF in all of my gas powered equipment except the cars.  I also try to keep the boat tank full all the time and typically burn ~ 5 gallons per trip.  To do that I keep 7 five gallon jugs to keep the boat full and fuel the lawn tractor, Power washer...  I do not use any additives as the boat never sits long enough for the gas to go stale.

As for the benefits, I think you have summed it up.  I didn't see any improvement in MPG but I was not looking for any.

1 hour ago, Currituck said:

I have started the change over to ethanol free fuel. We have a new Royal Farms gas station and they sell it at a reasonable price (I guess). The pumps I have used to fill the 2005TRS fuel tank did not constantly kick off after about 7/10 of a gallon pumped. Has been a real pain in the rear up till now. They have the best pump access too. 

So the first 25 gals is in the tank and represents 1/2 the fuel currently onboard. I did NOT add a stabilizer. I use a tank of fuel, this time of year, every couple months or less. What I hope to get out of the switch a smidge better performance and eliminate concerns about fuel separation. 

Currituck 

i didnt use non ethanol on my old yamaha motor because i was constantly using it, i think if you are constantly refilling with gas its not hurting it as much as when it sits for periods of time but i typically use my boat 4-8 times a month. Once i got a brand new suzuki i decided to switch to non ethanol and its the only gas i have ran through the tank now.

On 5/19/2023 at 7:14 AM, Currituck said:

Currituck 

I only have ever used EF in my small engine tools and boat because of the issue with water build up and the corrosion of the rubber.  My current 21FS that I have had for 3 years now has only had EF in the tank.  For me it is a feeling of confine knowing that Ethonal isn't sitting in there turning to water and creating "what I call" water worms...

1 hour ago, RacerxV6 said:

Requested a vessel safety check about a week ago. Got a response and schedule an appointment. Retired fella came out and went through everything and awarded me my 2023 vessel safety decal. 

08B3F031-4C2B-4EF6-BCD9-B4D0BB280A13.jpeg

They are great to have.  They have saved me time at the ramp more than once when the CG was inspecting and they saw the decal and said "Have a nice day."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HenrysCreek said:

Thanks!  We plan on spending about 10-12 days fishing on the way down and back. Trying to find a used one (2022/223) before the trip!  Looking for the unicorn (diesel, 33 gallon, Ram boxes and 3.21 rear).  

Well, if you pass near Wilmington, NC let me host you on the river.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No good deed goes unpunished!!  LOL

Got 8 of the 10 lug nuts removed. Not sure how long they’ve been on, but it took a six pack of beer and some serious cussin’ to get it accomplished. 2 remaining are frozen solid. PB Blaster 2 day soak, CRC Freeze, torch, breaker bar….nothing will get them off. I’m thinking of hiring some folks from “My 800lb Life” to sit on the trailer while I try a 6’ breaker bar next!  

Good news is that the first hub was in great shape. Had all intentions of replacing the entire hub assembly, but it wasn’t needed. 

IMG_3711.jpeg

IMG_3712.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Installed new HDS 12 and wrapped the steering wheel on my new to me 2009 XL TE. Also replaced all the bad livewell pumps. Next project is to replace the hatch seal tape on the hatches. Just need to find the right tape. Also been struggling to unclog the jump seat drain. Tried heavy gauge wire and cloths hanger but no luck. Any recommendations appreciated. IMG_9040.thumb.jpeg.964aee38780721d7122c945a4b91a39a.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/26/2023 at 12:17 AM, HenrysCreek said:

No good deed goes unpunished!!  LOL

Got 8 of the 10 lug nuts removed. Not sure how long they’ve been on, but it took a six pack of beer and some serious cussin’ to get it accomplished. 2 remaining are frozen solid. PB Blaster 2 day soak, CRC Freeze, torch, breaker bar….nothing will get them off. I’m thinking of hiring some folks from “My 800lb Life” to sit on the trailer while I try a 6’ breaker bar next!  

Good news is that the first hub was in great shape. Had all intentions of replacing the entire hub assembly, but it wasn’t needed. 

IMG_3711.jpeg

IMG_3712.jpeg

Got the wheels removed and decided after struggling with the lugs to go ahead and change out the hub kits.  Glad I did!  I learned something new about axles in that some DO NOT include holes for cotter pins!  While my kit included the cotter, after removing almost all of the grease around the  spindle nut (and cussing because the current cotter pin was buggered up inside the nut), I discovered that it was in fact some new (to me!) product called a tang washer.  Pretty cool actually, but I’m curious if the hold up better than cotter over the long haul.

Placed an order for spare spindles, D-washers and Tang washers + 2 new hub kits to keep in the trailer kit.  Glad to have learned this lesson in the comfort of the garage, instead of on the side of a highway!  Make sure you know what axles/hubs you have and carry the correct spares! :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, HenrysCreek said:

Got the wheels removed and decided after struggling with the lugs to go ahead and change out the hub kits.  Glad I did!  I learned something new about axles in that some DO NOT include holes for cotter pins!  While my kit included the cotter, after removing almost all of the grease around the  spindle nut (and cussing because the current cotter pin was buggered up inside the nut), I discovered that it was in fact some new (to me!) product called a tang washer.  Pretty cool actually, but I’m curious if the hold up better than cotter over the long haul.

Placed an order for spare spindles, D-washers and Tang washers + 2 new hub kits to keep in the trailer kit.  Glad to have learned this lesson in the comfort of the garage, instead of on the side of a highway!  Make sure you know what axles/hubs you have and carry the correct spares! :)

best advice one can get is to always at minimum have one spare brand new hub in the truck for roadside replacement.

15 hours ago, smilemaker said:

I like the trailer attachment for the spare hub and tire combination. Some are made so that the spindle can also be used to replace on a torsion axle. 

In a pinch if lug nuts won't come off you can change the hub and tire as one piece. 

i had a buddy recently who had one of these, come to find out the hub had seized to the "spindle attachment" that held it to the trailer and he couldnt get it off making it useless and it was new not used but im guessing water got in it from rain etc and eventually seized it. i leave my spare hub in a new box unopened under rear seat of the truck

22 hours ago, smilemaker said:

Was the hub not full of grease.

Sounds like it was never turned.

I don't have the torsion spindle but my spare hub and tire will spin when bumped. 

not sure just wanted to throw it out there as a warning just incase.