What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

My live well pump died, replaced it with a new Rule with the removable motor cartridge. I installed deutsch connectors for both the live well pump and bildge pump to eliminate future wire cutting and make it easier with the limited access into the bilge area. After that decided to keep going. I removed all the hatches and hinges. Cleaned everything and reinstalled with new 316 screws and bolts while generously bedding everything with 3m 4000uv sealant. All bolts were cut to length and machined a radius at the cut end to eliminate sharp edges. Replaced all rubber hatch seals and hatch restraint cables with new. I also finally installed the new live well over flow thru hull fitting that connects it to the splash well. I made tapered washers from starboard to eliminate the giant gap that was only factory caulked and leaked. Next I'll remove all the sealant around the upper edge of the live well and re-seal. While working on everything in the live well I felt a lot of sharp edges and hanging strands of fiberglass on the underside of the top of the live well perimeter and sanded it all smooth. I'm sure it was hurting bait fish that was kept in it. 

IMG_4108[1].JPG

IMG_4661[1].JPG

IMG_4673[1].JPG

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, searing said:

My live well pump died, replaced it with a new Rule with the removable motor cartridge. I installed deutsch connectors for both the live well pump and bildge pump to eliminate future wire cutting and make it easier with the limited access into the bilge area. After that decided to keep going. I removed all the hatches and hinges. Cleaned everything and reinstalled with new 316 screws and bolts while generously bedding everything with 3m 4000uv sealant. All bolts were cut to length and machined a radius at the cut end to eliminate sharp edges. Replaced all rubber hatch seals and hatch restraint cables with new. I also finally installed the new live well over flow thru hull fitting that connects it to the splash well. I made tapered washers from starboard to eliminate the giant gap that was only factory caulked and leaked. Next I'll remove all the sealant around the upper edge of the live well and re-seal. While working on everything in the live well I felt a lot of sharp edges and hanging strands of fiberglass on the underside of the top of the live well perimeter and sanded it all smooth. I'm sure it was hurting bait fish that was kept in it. 

IMG_4108[1].JPG

IMG_4661[1].JPG

IMG_4673[1].JPG

You knock all of that out in a weekend?  :)
That's a big project!  I did almost all of what you mentioned, except the livewell stuff.  
Show us some more pics please!

3 minutes ago, HenrysCreek said:

That's a big project!  I did almost all of what you mentioned, except the livewell stuff.  

LOL. Thank you, I'm an early riser so most of the work was done an hour or two each morning before going into work over the last week and half or so. I'll try to get pictures posted Wednesday or Thursday.

2 hours ago, searing said:

LOL. Thank you, I'm an early riser so most of the work was done an hour or two each morning before going into work over the last week and half or so. I'll try to get pictures posted Wednesday or Thursday.

I would like to see the deutsch connection that you did. Let us know the specifics on your connectors. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

I would like to see the deutsch connection that you did. Let us know the specifics on your connectors. 

Here is the link to the connectors. I already had a set of the 2-pin connectors for the live well pump, and purchased a set of the 3 pin connectors for the bilge pump for the (ground,auto,&manual) wire connections. There are a number of sellers for these Deutsch connectors but the important thing is make sure the pins that you connect to the wires are the solid barrel type and needs to accommodate 14ga wire. You'll also need the crimper which I'll add the link for one that works as it should for these connectors. I believe there is a video in each listing to show how to make them up, super easy and quick. If you look at the middle picture in my earlier post you'll see the crimper.

Connectors

https://www.amazon.com/JRREADY-Connector-Waterproof-Electrical-Contact/dp/B07VF2W6FJ/ref=sxin_16_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.453e88db-c819-41d8-a3ca-b8d62d3a5248%3Aamzn1.sym.453e88db-c819-41d8-a3ca-b8d62d3a5248&cv_ct_cx=2%2Bpin%2Bdeutsch%2Bconnector%2B14ga&keywords=2%2Bpin%2Bdeutsch%2Bconnector%2B14ga&pd_rd_i=B07VF2W6FJ&pd_rd_r=8d740237-c109-4b76-b5be-ebc0c9c49440&pd_rd_w=1lviR&pd_rd_wg=WvE1g&pf_rd_p=453e88db-c819-41d8-a3ca-b8d62d3a5248&pf_rd_r=JQW3NV02MR2W339X72D4&qid=1679945389&s=industrial&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sr=1-26-bb4842f6-7db0-410d-8e58-ed475f3f7b54-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQlBHQzRENkpCVlhLJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTk0NTU2MlVSSFhXVVI4RkMzWiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDM1MDE5MlpDTVpRNUE3SFNISCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3NlYXJjaF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Crimper IWD-16

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V1C6N2V?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

Thanks, searing.  That’s going to clean up my wiring nicely.   I just ordered everything to wire in my livewell pump replacement cartridge. 👍🏻

You're welcome! Where I think they're great is no more need to get both your arms through a small splash well opening to terminate and heat shrink butt connectors for a new installation. Plus you can have spare pumps pre-wired with the plug on board if you wanted and in two minutes you're back up an running.

PS: I filled the plugs with dielectric grease during assembly for further protection.

On 3/28/2023 at 11:40 AM, searing said:

Plus you can have spare pumps pre-wired with the plug on board if you wanted and in two minutes you're back up an running.

PS: I filled the plugs with dielectric grease during assembly for further protection.

This would’ve saved my *** on my last tournament trip! We had to continually add greasy water to the livewell to keep our bait alive. Pain in the butt. 

On 3/27/2023 at 12:00 PM, HenrysCreek said:

Here are a few more pictures showing the trim seals installed an a couple of the hinges after being bedded in and installed. Finally got to put the hatch seal trim on for the forward hatch as well since I had to wait for delivery. I wanted to change the screws that hold the hatch catches and noticed that the original starboard blocks were cracking. Was really surprised the blocks weren't a little wider so the screws wouldn't be literally right at the edge of the blocks:( So I decided to make new blocks for all the hatches.

IMG_4680[1].JPG

IMG_4675[1].JPG

IMG_4677[1].JPG

IMG_4679[1].JPG

IMG_4681[1].JPG

• Like 2

On 3/27/2023 at 3:45 PM, searing said:

Here is the link to the connectors. I already had a set of the 2-pin connectors for the live well pump, and purchased a set of the 3 pin connectors for the bilge pump for the (ground,auto,&manual) wire connections. There are a number of sellers for these Deutsch connectors but the important thing is make sure the pins that you connect to the wires are the solid barrel type and needs to accommodate 14ga wire. You'll also need the crimper which I'll add the link for one that works as it should for these connectors. I believe there is a video in each listing to show how to make them up, super easy and quick. If you look at the middle picture in my earlier post you'll see the crimper.

Connectors

https://www.amazon.com/JRREADY-Connector-Waterproof-Electrical-Contact/dp/B07VF2W6FJ/ref=sxin_16_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.453e88db-c819-41d8-a3ca-b8d62d3a5248%3Aamzn1.sym.453e88db-c819-41d8-a3ca-b8d62d3a5248&cv_ct_cx=2%2Bpin%2Bdeutsch%2Bconnector%2B14ga&keywords=2%2Bpin%2Bdeutsch%2Bconnector%2B14ga&pd_rd_i=B07VF2W6FJ&pd_rd_r=8d740237-c109-4b76-b5be-ebc0c9c49440&pd_rd_w=1lviR&pd_rd_wg=WvE1g&pf_rd_p=453e88db-c819-41d8-a3ca-b8d62d3a5248&pf_rd_r=JQW3NV02MR2W339X72D4&qid=1679945389&s=industrial&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sr=1-26-bb4842f6-7db0-410d-8e58-ed475f3f7b54-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQlBHQzRENkpCVlhLJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTk0NTU2MlVSSFhXVVI4RkMzWiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDM1MDE5MlpDTVpRNUE3SFNISCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3NlYXJjaF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Crimper IWD-16

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V1C6N2V?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I got all of my stuff in and replaced the pump cartridge using those connectors. Such and easy process and so simple to do. I can't thank you enough for motivating me to do this.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I figured the best way to learn if the hinges I can get for those who need them are fully correct is to install them myself on my boat. I have the one set they sent me for measuring purposes and since my original hinges are a little bent and the powder coating on them is a mess I'm going to put them in this weekend. I got all new 316 SS mounting hardware for the hinges and machined a radius on the end of each bolt to take away sharp edges like I have on all my other hardware I've replaced. I'm also replacing the seal for the storage compartment under the bench seat. The seal was all chewed up and it's because the blocks that are mounted underneath the bottom cushion to keep in position are square cornered and very sharp. Wasn't a very good idea in my opinion so I made new pieces that I hope will preserve the seal for a longer time. 

I'll post more pictures and comment on how the hinges fitted and worked for those who are waiting and wanting to get in on the purchase of the case of hinges when we get enough guys in on it.

Thank you

IMG_4732[1].JPG

IMG_4729[1].JPG

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Very nice work. Got a questing about machined radius on screws. How do you do that?

Thank you,

I just ground the radius I wanted into a 5/16" high speed cobalt tool blank on my grinder. Then loaded the cutter in a tool block for the tool post on my lathe. Made a collet out of brass to hold bolts (1/4"-20) with the ends of the bolts just past the collet in my lathe and run the radius tool I ground up to it. I have several manual metal lathes.

• Like 1

Whelp, I just stared at my boat again today.   Thats it. Surgery 2 weeks ago, 4 more weeks of sitting around.  Wife says she is betting against me following docs orders.  I think she is right.  

cant even work on her, but I am planning on installing some friction hinges on her when I am allowed to.  Anyone done this on a Master angler?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Whelp, I just stared at my boat again today.   Thats it. Surgery 2 weeks ago, 4 more weeks of sitting around.  Wife says she is betting against me following docs orders.  I think she is right.  

cant even work on her, but I am planning on installing some friction hinges on her when I am allowed to.  Anyone done this on a Master angler?

I feel what you’re going through, back in 2013 & 2014 I went through almost 6 months of that twice it drove me crazy. Hope all is good with you after the 4 weeks.

Becareful with the friction hinges, they can put a lot of stress on what they’re mounted to. Use wide washers or backing plates when possible if using them.

• Like 1