What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

4 hours ago, HenrysCreek said:

Took the 18.5MA in for engine service today.  The shop owner walks out and says “wow, that’s a beauty, I’ve got something sitting in my shop that’ll look great on her!”  Walk in and he has a beautiful used 150 four stroke Yammy sitting on a stand.  A little haggling later and it’s now going on the boat!  Going to delete the jackplate as I don’t run shallow very often.  Will post pictures next week when she’s back.

Question for the group:  The “new” motor currently has a 19P stainless prop on it.  Any recommendations on what runs best on these boats/motors?  Don’t need the fastest prop, just the best all around.  Thanks.

I would stick with the one you currently have and do some testing/riding and see how it does with your fishing load before falling into the black hole of prop buying. Post your numbers after you have been out several times and gotten the feel of the new motor and deleting the jackplate. Someone will chime in with some advice to help.

Purged all the old grease out of the Vortex hubs a couple weeks ago, replaced with Lucas Marine Grease.  I didn't need to use it for the grease work, but I tried my new design ramp/jack to lift the wheels.  Worked great, no messing with a jack.

Yesterday and today I pulled the calipers and replaced the seals and dust boots.  Turned out to be a pretty easy job.  Compressed air worked great to pop the pistons out.

Spring trailer maintenance is almost done.

Grease purge.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, all wet said:

Purged all the old grease out of the Vortex hubs a couple weeks ago, replaced with Lucas Marine Grease.  I didn't need to use it for the grease work, but I tried my new design ramp/jack to lift the wheels.  Worked great, no messing with a jack.

Yesterday and today I pulled the calipers and replaced the seals and dust boots.  Turned out to be a pretty easy job.  Compressed air worked great to pop the pistons out.

Spring trailer maintenance is almost done.

I have a plastic one for the lift....normally I just use a 6 ton jack with jack stands.

Good info...thanks.

dc

About a month ago Richie called me and said he is going to repaint his trolling motor bottom.  Asking if i was interested as the can was much more than he needed for his motor.  I did not think mine was too bad, but why not.  Well it was worse than I thought.  We will see how long this paints lasts, but it looks tuff.

69781714729__16BA1E1E-A599-4D7D-AC07-87F84B9D05DA.jpeg

69801401558__D8353C40-DDBC-4A93-89F5-A1B0660E4AB6.jpeg

IMG_7401.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not a MBG boat, but a boat none the less.  Got a good deal on a 2.6L 200 VMAX HPDI and decided to hang it on my Wahoo last night.  Old reliable 175 ProV will go on the stand in the garage (I’m kind of a 2stroke hoarder).  Full service this week and wet test this weekend (weather permitting).  

831B854A-92D3-4C44-8BC4-24FB7FCE6F0F.jpeg

233DA480-553D-4730-A917-96C378A1A4C7.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Not a MBG boat, but a boat none the less.  Got a good deal on a 2.6L 200 VMAX HPDI and decided to hang it on my Wahoo last night.  Old reliable 175 ProV will go on the stand in the garage (I’m kind of a 2stroke hoarder).  Full service this week and wet test this weekend (weather permitting).  

I WANT ONE OF THOSE SMALL BLOCK 200'S TOO!! good find!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Friend of mine, Ray Curry, started Wahoo Boats in Richmond VA many moons ago. Went through some nasty lawsuits with Whaler, but ultimately prevailed, only to lose the business in a nasty divorce. Great boats!  Wish they were still around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoneyB said:

I bet it was difficult to prove he didn’t copy whaler hulls. 

I think the basic premise of his/their defense, was that Wahoo!’s we’re foam lined, not foam filled hulls. There were other slight changes, but otherwise both very nice build quality. I mentioned above that Wahoo ultimates prevailed, but I don’t think that’s quite accurate. Because of the divorce and high legal expenses of the trademark suit, Wahoo! sold out to Brunswick - and as we know, Brunswick also owns BW. The Wahoo brand quickly faded away. Robalo was in there somewhere along the line, but I don’t remember exactly (before/after Brunswick bought Wahoo!

Ray loved fishing and Harleys.  He and my dad were close friends and last I heard, he was holding up a barstool in SFL somewhere.  He’s probably 85.  I’m certain he can embellish this story much better!

11 hours ago, HenrysCreek said:

Wahoo!’s we’re foam lined, not foam filled hulls.

This is true.  You can actually install a bilge pump in a wahoo, opposed to no pump and no access in a similar size and year whaler. Also wahoos are less prone to water logged foam like whalers are known for.

Installed a horn and new switch with a red actuator for the horn. The switch is a On-Off-(On) that way I still have another available switched circuit if needed in the future. 

I chose the Schmitt SS mini drop in high pitch horn because of the two piece design requiring a much smaller hole through the console as well as the grill being smaller which I thought is better fit for the smaller console on my boat.

IMG_4652[1].JPG

IMG_4653[1].JPG

• Like 4