What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

Curritcuk,  How far forward was that front jack.  Just seemed like it should be back a little more.  May just be a visual thing.

I placed it far enough back that the keel was nearly flat…maybe 6 feet from the bow. Most boats sit higher above the trailer frame than mine does. I could not go much further toward the stern because I had to leave room for the initial blocking (placed just forward of the front axle) used to gain a couple inches of clearance off the trailer so that cross arms would be over the trailer frame and the cradle under the keel. I used the trailer jack stand to raise the keel as high as it would go and then placed the blocking under the keel. When I lowered the jack-stand it lifted the keel about 3” higher in relation to the top of the trailer frame.

Trust me, I tested the stability before I got under there. Next time I plan to, once boat is off the trailer, block up the forward portion of the boat and remove the cross arm and stands. 

• Like 3

Built a lower unit stand for the impeller change. Very simple design. After that I began the impeller change. Removed lower unit and placed in stand. Fought the key removal issue thanks to “dabear” and “Southernwake” for the pointers. Once I got past that I continued to remove the rest of the water pump and then put everything back in the order of removal. Completed job with a little bit multi purpose grease as suggested by Geeviam.  Here’s a few pics.  

5FA3026E-BFD0-4460-B62B-A966287D8B7B.jpeg

0D9166D9-754F-401D-AD7B-5CA4129558D7.jpeg

F8855878-376E-4EE5-8CB5-250B80C37F9C.jpeg

EE81BAD1-9707-47D4-9653-20CCFB836FC9.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 5:18 AM, Currituck said:

I placed it far enough back that the keel was nearly flat…maybe 6 feet from the bow. Most boats sit higher above the trailer frame than mine does. I could not go much further toward the stern because I had to leave room for the initial blocking (placed just forward of the front axle) used to gain a couple inches of clearance off the trailer so that cross arms would be over the trailer frame and the cradle under the keel. I used the trailer jack stand to raise the keel as high as it would go and then placed the blocking under the keel. When I lowered the jack-stand it lifted the keel about 3” higher in relation to the top of the trailer frame.

Trust me, I tested the stability before I got under there. Next time I plan to, once boat is off the trailer, block up the forward portion of the boat and remove the cross arm and stands. 

Sounds like you supported it well.  I'm OCD and error on the side of overkill on stuff like that.  When I die, I don't want it to be because I got crushed by a vehicle or boat falling on me.  Even if I've supported it well, I like to place a stack of concrete blocks or an additional jack stand or floor jack underneath along side me just in case one of the others fails.  I'll deal with a large hole in the hull later as long as I survive.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, geeviam said:

Sounds like you supported it well.  I'm OCD and error on the side of overkill on stuff like that.  When I die, I don't want it to be because I got crushed by a vehicle or boat falling on me.  Even if I've supported it well, I like to place a stack of concrete blocks or an additional jack stand or floor jack underneath along side me just in case one of the others fails.  I'll deal with a large hole in the hull later as long as I survive.

Same here Geeviam,,,,LOL,  When working on my vehicles I always have the jack plus a jack stand...Currituck I wasn't doubting you're skill, it was definitely the pic and visual aspect.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, geeviam said:

Cool design!  The inside of that lower unit looks a little different (better) than the ones that have been run in salt water, for sure.

Thanks Geeviam, found it on YouTube...  small enough to store out of the way for when I need it every two-three years... Straight freshwater for sure......

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 8:43 AM, searing said:

This weekend I rebuilt my carburetors. Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke. I had one carburetor that was leaking between the float bowl cover and the carb body when squeezing the fuel line bulb. It seems to me that Oring style gasket could afford to be a little bigger for a better seal. Since I was going that far into the motor for a couple more gaskets I decided to replace the stainless reeds for Chris Carson composite reeds. I’m hoping for a smoother and more responsive throttle. Has anyone installed them with some feedback? I didn’t get to run it yet. While doing all the work I noticed a spot with salt right below the lifting ring above the top cylinder water jacket. After scraping the salt away I found a hole. I used a dremel to clean to bare metal and filled with JB weld. It really surprised me because this is a low hour motor that looks new otherwise. Fingers crossed it holds. 

522DD7C1-2985-4593-9C29-B07A798C1646.jpeg

Searing, yes, I replaced my old 50 Merc from Steel to CC carbon fiber and they are definitely smooth and more responsive......

• Like 1

very cool design....

I used to do all my lower unit changes not the top a garbage can with two 2 by 6'r holding the it in place at the top of the lower unit's fins.....I'd slide it over the two 2 by's and then secure it with a cross 1x2.   

your design is much more stable...but, I'd usually have someone helping me when I was doing the replacement.

DC

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

very cool design....

I used to do all my lower unit changes not the top a garbage can with two 2 by 6'r holding the it in place at the top of the lower unit's fins.....I'd slide it over the two 2 by's and then secure it with a cross 1x2.   

your design is much more stable...but, I'd usually have someone helping me when I was doing the replacement.

DC

LOL, I watched a guy in a video doing the same thing...Seemed to be common practice....

1 hour ago, THE OUTLAW said:

With this , you can camp anywhere .

Shark River Barge

Mouth of Harney

Rodgers

No permits required , and you are at the spot at dawn and dusk .

AKA breakfast n dinna .

We have been doing it for years , it is alittle cramped but effective.

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

Genius.  Never underestimate an OUTLAW!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2022 at 2:51 PM, THE OUTLAW said:

We have been doing it for years , it is alittle cramped but effective.

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

Great idea.  Have done this many times.  It opens up a whole new universe.  Spend a week at a time in the Bahamas, Marquesas and Everglades.  Not for everyone, but if you can ruff it some it offers some great experiences especially in areas that take some time to get to.  We have some great stories because of the boat tent.

DSC00060.jpeg

boatTent04.jpeg

boatTent06.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...