What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

Funny, I just helped my son replace the upper control arms and the tie rods on the 2003 Ram I had given him. The arms were easy but after 17 years those tie rods were one with the bar only after sheer will and determination plus PB blaster, heat, monster vice grips was I able to get them to spin off. Next time I told him I will just pay a mechanic to do it...☺️

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

I'm finding it harder to get off the ground once I'm down there!:D🔧🏎️

I'll be honest, my body was sore as hec for the next two days from like you said being on the ground all contorted in the fender well. 

• Haha 1

Driver side put back together last night...Will do passenger side tonight and then the center link...smashed middle finger with rotor last night, good gosh that thing is heavy, will pierce finger nail when I get home. yes, I forgot to put the dustpan back on.  I didn't have it sitting with me, got to take rotor back off 😒

IMG_2473 (2).JPG

I got a first pass stitch out from a buddy of mine who's preparing to embroider my boat logo in the new upholstery that I just got all the fabric and foam for (have to finish the front boat cover first).  He's going to do a few other stitching effects to give me options.  "SYSH" is named after my niece (Syd) who suggested I get a fishing boat so we could fish.  She's a water nut and impossible to remove from the lake, marsh, or beach and loves having sea trout for dinner.  However, at 10yrs, she recently found ballet and hasn't been fishing much lately ;-).

I've got several yards of Naugahyde in a parchment color raring to hit the sewing machine.  The embroidery will get a blue/green metallic thread.

49807507331_6d4060c257_z.jpg

Naugahyde-All-American-Parchment-54-Vinyl-Fabric_1.jpg

It's raining so I can't work on the boat cover (it needs another round of fitting).  I finally have a free evening and decided to experiment with some channeling patterns for the upcoming upholstery project.  I thought the diamonds were top notch until my wife commented that it looks like someone "trying too hard".  I think she has a point.  I may just go with the straight ones on the flat center panels in the seats and seatbacks.  I didn't use enough spray mount with on the foam and it came loose - I think that's why the 2" diamonds look a little loose but the stitching is dialed in.  It's nice to be using regular UV thread instead of that teflon I've been making the cover with....but dealing with that teflon has made me a lot better. 

49811902691_6734900512_z.jpg

49811358363_113e26d3b1_z.jpg

49811372623_a5045a7e3d_z.jpg

• Like 2

I've only been able to get a couple hours a night into this project and actually have a lot more time in it than expected to have arrived 'only' at this point, but it's not a race, right? With the current stay home guidelines, I've been ordering materials in a few days or week ahead of my actual schedule. So a lot of time has been "hurry up and wait". I have an enclosure now and it is square as can be for a garage build; less than a 1/32" off in all directions. I glued up 2 - 8" x 14" pieces of MDF last night to make a couple of router jigs with. I need to recess the handles I bought for it, as well as flush mount the 90* angle brackets I've got to fab up for it. I couldn't find any brackets online that would fit the way I need them to, so I'll use a couple pieces of 316 s.s. angle, which will catch my backing plates and the existing floor mounts. Tonight I am going to round over the edges with my router, sand, sand and sand some more. I plan to glass the outside tomorrow evening or maybe Sunday, depending on the weather. 

The top chamber supports ended up being made with the scrap I had left over, so I had a gap to fill with epoxy. I did after the photo was taken and laid another layer of glass over all of the joints and fillets. 

EN1.jpg

EC2.jpg

EC3.jpg

EC4.jpg

EC5.jpg

ENCHPS.jpg

6 hours ago, BradM said:

I've only been able to get a couple hours a night into this project and actually have a lot more time in it than expected to have arrived 'only' at this point, but it's not a race, right? With the current stay home guidelines, I've been ordering materials in a few days or week ahead of my actual schedule. So a lot of time has been "hurry up and wait". I have an enclosure now and it is square as can be for a garage build; less than a 1/32" off in all directions. I glued up 2 - 8" x 14" pieces of MDF last night to make a couple of router jigs with. I need to recess the handles I bought for it, as well as flush mount the 90* angle brackets I've got to fab up for it. I couldn't find any brackets online that would fit the way I need them to, so I'll use a couple pieces of 316 s.s. angle, which will catch my backing plates and the existing floor mounts. Tonight I am going to round over the edges with my router, sand, sand and sand some more. I plan to glass the outside tomorrow evening or maybe Sunday, depending on the weather. 

The top chamber supports ended up being made with the scrap I had left over, so I had a gap to fill with epoxy. I did after the photo was taken and laid another layer of glass over all of the joints and fillets. 

EN1.jpg

EC2.jpg

EC3.jpg

EC4.jpg

EC5.jpg

ENCHPS.jpg

Looking good. How much does it weigh? Looks super stout. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frogfoot said:

Wow Paintman....looking really good!🏁  Any interior pictures you can share?

Sorry frogfoot not at the moment, other than the few I posted in this thread a few pages back when I was spraying it. I’ll take a few when it gets back from the shop. I’ve got some wiring demons giving me some trouble and electrical is not my strong suite thanks for the compliments. I’m pretty proud of her. 

Pretty standard spring commissioning with my 05 2000V, but it's how I did it. I've always hated the messy process of changing engine oil every spring. 

Till I came across a YouTuber while learning more before changing out water pump. This guy machines threaded hollow crankcase plugs with attached tubing to simplify oil change. Bought and used, easy peasy no mess. I added a 6" piece of copper pipe to prevent wind issues during draining. 

20200425_160935.jpg

I haven't made much more progress on the front boat cover - I've been fortunate enough to have a good bit of work in these challenging times so I'm making sure I keep focus on that!  I've also got a fishing trip coming up in a few weeks and I wanted to get a few things knocked out on my list that were more important to the trip (a couple of new rod holders, a new three bank battery charger, etc).  It was raining tonight so I couldn't reasonably work outside and my embroidered naugahyde panels came back from my buddy today....and they look terrific.  I've been really scratching my head about how to join a channeled piece and a flat piece and the design I came up with on the flip-up couch requires them to have several joints.  The issue is that there is 1/4" fabric backed foam used to make the channeling and to soften the naugahyde where it wraps and stretches around things.  I apply that foam with spray adhesive and stitching and it works great.  The problem is that when you start folding seams, it's a LOT of crap stacking up in there and it's going to stand seriously proud of the foam cushion making the seam look pretty bad.  I spent tonight making the three diamond channeled pieces (I decided to ignore my wife's advice since she won't even set foot on the boat anyway - so I've got a lot of diamond channeling planned 😉) and experimenting with how to trim the foam and layer the pieces so they don't stack up.  I've never done upholstery before so I'm taking my time to study and experiment.  I got one of the seams done and am very happy with it so far.

This is the couch seat and back layout:
49836012427_aebc70e70b_z.jpg

The metallic thread color came out a little bluer than I would have chosen...wanted a little more aqua color but the stitching is outstanding.  I'll definitely make it work.

49835176568_4166841a22_z.jpg

Channeling panels took about an hour and a half to mark, assemble and stitch.  (the blue/green water soluble marker I used is still visible - I hadn't washed it off yet)

49835709536_99497e4092_z.jpg

Showing the backside of the seam I sweated over.  It's pretty flat!

49835709791_2513408530_z.jpg

This makes me want to keep going all night:

49835709476_8de0ea86e2_z.jpg

• Like 1