What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

Ordered a ton of stuff this week for the new boat and the parts are showing up!

300r

black action series jackplate

dual 8 foot black blades

powerpole charge

simrad nss16 evo

minn Kota 112 ulterra (black)

shadowcaster lighting

6 7.7’s,  2 8.8’s, and a 12 jl sub

full black seadek

Should be a blast, hope the boat will be done by first of august. Have a lot of work ahead

It’s like the stealth charger but a lot more advanced. With the touch of a button I can parallel batteries, transfer the charging from motor, transfer charge between batteries, etc.

Gamechanger during a tournament or sandbar days where I can direct power to batteries that need it while on the water.

i bought an Scb stingray with the console slid back 10 inches for top speed. Right now it’s running low 80’s with full fuel. Redoing everything on the boat, should come out great 

51663894-DD10-4BE1-9546-C8DF885AE0CA.jpeg

• Like 2

Question for everyone - I'm about to add some centering bunks for my trailer.  I bought the hardware and carpet, but need to purchase the wood for the bunks.   I know that pressure treated wood can do bad things to aluminum boats, but is there any reason NOT to use it for bunks for a fiberglass boat?

WWU, i don't see why you wouldn't be able to use it.  I actually used it on my trailer for my prior aluminum hull.  Then again, I did have a heavy bunk carpet and it never in the 2 years i had them caused any issues.  Have you thought about going with something like TREX.  It is a composite material used for decks nowadays.  Not sure if anyone has used it or even though about it.  Something else i noticed my new trailer does not use carpet either, the bunks are covered with a rubber coating instead of carpet.  Boat slides off a lot easier.

2 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

WWU, i don't see why you wouldn't be able to use it.  I actually used it on my trailer for my prior aluminum hull.  Then again, I did have a heavy bunk carpet and it never in the 2 years i had them caused any issues.  Have you thought about going with something like TREX.  It is a composite material used for decks nowadays.  Not sure if anyone has used it or even though about it.  Something else i noticed my new trailer does not use carpet either, the bunks are covered with a rubber coating instead of carpet.  Boat slides off a lot easier.

They did that with your bunks to keep you from getting pinholes in your aluminum boat!   Look up what happens when you use carpet over wooden bunks on an aluminum boat.   Not fun.    

Interesting call on the Trex, never heard of anyone using it.   Not very stiff, so probably not ideal for main bunks, but could be very useful for centering bunks where there is more curve.

16 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

They did that with your bunks to keep you from getting pinholes in your aluminum boat!   Look up what happens when you use carpet over wooden bunks on an aluminum boat.   Not fun.    

I was not aware of this at all!  Wow, my old starfisher that I redid last year did not have any corrosion at all, and that was a 1991 hull.  Boat was solid as a rock when it came to water.  May be because of the older wood not having a large amount of the CCA in it.  Another thought on using framing wood that does not contain any CCA would be to seal it with several coats of sealer and then carpet.  That should work very well and last a long time.  Yeah, I thought about the TREX being not to stiff but, if you put the brackets in the key places for support they should work just fine.  Would be interesting if anyone has done could chime in.

On 6/22/2020 at 9:53 AM, whichwaysup said:

Question for everyone - I'm about to add some centering bunks for my trailer.  I bought the hardware and carpet, but need to purchase the wood for the bunks.   I know that pressure treated wood can do bad things to aluminum boats, but is there any reason NOT to use it for bunks for a fiberglass boat?

I have used treated lumber on an old and did not have any issues.  That being said when I put new bunks on my current trailer I used cypress.  I got the cypress from a mill and it was the same price as treated lumber and they are real dimensions.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mulligan said:

I have used treated lumber on an old and did not have any issues.  That being said when I put new bunks on my current trailer I used cypress.  I got the cypress from a mill and it was the same price as treated lumber and they are real dimensions.

I currently read about using cypress, sounds like a good solution.

17 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

My buddy bought a boat, an bare aluminum bass tracker and he always had water in the bilge and could not figure out why. Well he replaced the hull and gave the old one to me. I did not like fishing in a frying pan so I was going to paint it so I took it off the trailer and where the boat laid on the flat trailer bunks was corroded and pitted with holes. Well when you look at the hull on the trailer it looked perfect because you could not see the issue with the corrosion because the bunks were covering it.

This was on a bare non-coated aluminum hull, I have not seen it on painted aluminum hulls BUT if the coating gets scratched down to bare aluminum it could cause a problem.

• Like 3

Cypress is what you’re “supposed” to use, I used pressure treated on the HPX trailer but the bunks never touched the water. Interested to see how PT holds up submerged and then wrapped in wet carpet, report back if you use it. I would definitely use Monel staples for the carpet though. 

• Like 1

I have not used these - but has anyone tried this product?  (You cannot dry-launch with these bunk covers): https://gatorbak.com/gatorbak-information/

Or this product?  (they look like King Starboard material): http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html

I have also heard that cypress lumber is the best submersible wood product as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I put the Surfix slides on the front bunks only of the 2500, they work like a champ. Friend had them under a HB Biscayne and removed them because they’re too slick for a dry launch skiff, they do scratch the gel coat a little. I really don’t care what the bottom of my boat looks like so I love them.  They’re just 3/8” starboard as far as I can tell. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, geeviam said:

I have not used these - but has anyone tried this product?  (You cannot dry-launch with these bunk covers): https://gatorbak.com/gatorbak-information/

Or this product?  (they look like King Starboard material): http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html

I have also heard that cypress lumber is the best submersible wood product as well.

I have Gatorbak on my bunks. The carpet was holding moister and causing problems. I tried Caliper Bunk Wrap but saw very quickly that it was to hard on the gelcoat. It would be very good for aluminum.

GatorBak is expensive, but it is soft and easy on the gelcoat. I spray silicon spray on the bunks about every third or forth launch and the boat slips on and off very nice. Smooth enough that I do not lose the winch on the slop of the ramp. It sheds the water very well and I suppose the pressure treated bunks will last a very long time.

GatorbakBunk.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jh141 said:

I have Gatorbak on my bunks. The carpet was holding moister and causing problems. I tried Caliper Bunk Wrap but saw very quickly that it was to hard on the gelcoat. It would be very good for aluminum.

GatorBak is expensive, but it is soft and easy on the gelcoat. I spray silicon spray on the bunks about every third or forth launch and the boat slips on and off very nice. Smooth enough that I do not lose the winch on the slop of the ramp. It sheds the water very well and I suppose the pressure treated bunks will last a very long time.

Awesome!  Good info.  Thanks!

Here’s a crazy idea for a off shore capable bay boat, aka 2500 hybrid... thru-bolts and backing plates on rod holders! Who would have thought? The factory Pathfinder rod holders are Gemlux Coastal holders if anyone wants to do this to their Pathdinder. I just realized looking at this picture I forgot a washer on this holder. 

2E4DC22E-2ACD-46E9-9946-7B943998A622.jpeg

On 6/21/2020 at 3:10 PM, linesider 159 said:

It’s like the stealth charger but a lot more advanced. With the touch of a button I can parallel batteries, transfer the charging from motor, transfer charge between batteries, etc.

Gamechanger during a tournament or sandbar days where I can direct power to batteries that need it while on the water.

i bought an Scb stingray with the console slid back 10 inches for top speed. Right now it’s running low 80’s with full fuel. Redoing everything on the boat, should come out great 

51663894-DD10-4BE1-9546-C8DF885AE0CA.jpeg

That is one mean looking sled. All black including seadek will be a Monster. Love the seats.  80’s that’s just SICK. Congrats.  😀🙏 fin

• Like 2