What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

Shallowminded - I have a 2008 thats new to me by about 9 months. I just started noticing a slight gas smell, mainly coming from the anchor hatch. I have a cover on the boat and it covers the fuel vent, so i am hoping that the fuel I smell is just due to the heat we have had and the fuel evaporating form the vent and getting "trapped" under the cover.

Hope so too for your sake. Im going to try to replace all the lines today and tomorrow. Fill, vent, and supply line to the back. Filter to the engine are all new when I got the new engine installed. Looks like I will be cutting a hole in the port side small compartment for access to the fill and vent. 

6 hours ago, coopaloopa said:

Shallowminded - I have a 2008 thats new to me by about 9 months. I just started noticing a slight gas smell, mainly coming from the anchor hatch. I have a cover on the boat and it covers the fuel vent, so i am hoping that the fuel I smell is just due to the heat we have had and the fuel evaporating form the vent and getting "trapped" under the cover.

Shallow, if it puts your mind at ease, I have a fuel smell with mine as well, but my tank was pressure tested and all components are new.   I have never once found fuel in the bilge, and get no sheen when i drain rainwater at the ramp.  In fact, every boat I have ever owned had the same fuming.   

If you discover something, let us know, I am curious where it would be coming from.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Shallow, if it puts your mind at ease, I have a fuel smell with mine as well, but my tank was pressure tested and all components are new.   I have never once found fuel in the bilge, and get no sheen when i drain rainwater at the ramp.  In fact, every boat I have ever owned had the same fuming.   

If you discover something, let us know, I am curious where it would be coming from.

That helps WWIU, just motivates me to do the fuel lines that I probably shouldve done when I bought it. You have poly or alluminum? I havent had any fuel in the bilge or sheen and i wash my anchor compartment every trip so I would think I would see it. Will post what I find. 

24 minutes ago, linesider 159 said:

It can, but generally you see the gasket fail and as fuel sloshes it will let out just enough fuel to give a smell but not always traceable. 

It doesnt look bad, gasket still pushing out 360degrees around it. But as far as I know its origional. Thinking aboit replacing it as well since it is exposed. How do you pick a fuel sender out? Just pull the old and try to match, never done this one before

Tank is dirty but I really dont see much pitting or corrosion on it. Ironically no smell of gas this AM when I started the project. Hoses were in less than good condition especially my fill hose but not horrible. Getting them off the nipples wasnt easy. I think I spilled more blood and sweat than fuel. Getting prices on hoses, new vent for outside(stainless flushmount), and sending unit. Pic of current sending unit

B8527930-F60E-4ECE-BF61-1F1789761222.jpeg

Working on restoring a bobs jack plate CRD dawg gave me, its coming along nicely, plenty of work ahead of me.    Havent tested pump yet, but that's got to wait till I can find a few spare hours.   Easier to find a few 10 minute spots here and there to address the corrosion and oxidation in the meantime.   

Testing will require finding an old battery, running transmission fluid through everything and flush it out.  Going to google a wiring diagram, though it looks pretty simple.  Dont have a switch, so will be testing it the old fashioned way.   If anyone has a schematic on getting this thing to run without a switch, I'd be grateful.

Aso, huge thanks to Muddybottombluz for sending me a spare solonoid.   When I finally get this thing installed, I will owe half the members of this forum a trip!

20200705_143146.jpg

20200707_085522.jpg

20200706_104129.jpg

Hope you guys don’t mind since it’s not an MBG boat, but tore all my seating out today and am getting it all redone. Going with all black diamond stitch. Boat gets stripped this week and goes to fiberglass Monday where it will really begin to take the shape. Motor is 3 weeks out and still piecing parts together, just ordered 2 10 inch subs that will go in an enclosure under the console. Coordinating this build has been a pleasure and a nightmare.

Also decided to pick this little guy up, I know it’s not an mbg but what a blast this little thing is!

BF691808-5A63-4030-BC4E-DD81E139F2C3.jpeg

6986BE2F-3141-4FA5-A2DB-739D4EDD74CB.jpeg

• Like 1

I am attempting to replace the pop up gas cap on my 2008 Hewes. I have looked all over and it seems like the part has been discontinued. It is the Southco 1 1/2 inch Pop Up gas cap. 

Anyone have any luck finding one or something similiar? If not, anyone know of a replacement that will sit level with the existing fill? 

8 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

Hope you guys don’t mind since it’s not an MBG boat, but tore all my seating out today and am getting it all redone. Going with all black diamond stitch. Boat gets stripped this week and goes to fiberglass Monday where it will really begin to take the shape. Motor is 3 weeks out and still piecing parts together, just ordered 2 10 inch subs that will go in an enclosure under the console. Coordinating this build has been a pleasure and a nightmare.

Also decided to pick this little guy up, I know it’s not an mbg but what a blast this little thing is!

BF691808-5A63-4030-BC4E-DD81E139F2C3.jpeg

6986BE2F-3141-4FA5-A2DB-739D4EDD74CB.jpeg

There’s nothing “little” about a Vantage, I love East Capes. Spend a lot of time on my neighbor’s EvoX and recently saw their 24 Bay in person. Definitely the best laid out Bay Boat out there right now in my opinion, the fit and finish was incredible, Egret like. Those guys are definitely doing it right down in Orlando. 

47 minutes ago, SouthernWake said:

Off day family time before the sun came up too much.

Just the beginning! I spent the last two days boating with the wife and daughter (one of two) and one of her friends, I brought 8 rods, had all my tackle and bait, never picked one up! Because we brought the jet ski also and the tube and went around and around and around! By the way she is 16 now so this is just the beginning for you and your child, get ready! I guess its the price we pay for raising the kiddo's on the water!

Good Stuff SW!

• Like 2

Well it’s stripped and ready. Switched the 12 inch sub to 2 10 inch jls in a box under the console, expect that to be done in 2 weeks. Seadek comes tomorrow afternoon to scan the boat, and Tuesday I drop it at fiberglass to have everything done. The next 2-3 weeks this boat will really come together. 

Sneak peak of the seats

Also, thank God for oak trees and the shade they provide to work under, today was brutally hot

06AFBF54-2D57-44CA-B1E7-03FAEA0A997E.jpeg

6F430403-814A-49D6-A7A8-54BEFE09F884.jpeg

BBA54E84-5164-450B-94DC-DF32E59B6EEB.jpeg

• Like 2