What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

3 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

where and on what ?

are you going to glass it?

It will interchange with the cooler seat on my HPS...The inside will be glassed and braced; ran fillets tonight in preparation for glass. The outside is yet to be determined. This is 1” thick Coosa Board, Bluewater 26, it’s ridiculously strong for my application, which is what I wanted. I may simply fare the outside with poly and gel coat it to match or fare with epoxy and hit it with a 2 stage paint. Gel coat will be easier to touch up (for me) should I need to in the future. Yes, I plan to radius all the edges and have a seat cushion made to match the factory one. Rather than non-skid the top, I ordered gray SeaDek, which will be here tomorrow. I leave the cushion at home unless my wife is with me. 

AEAE1F7A-1A4E-4541-8454-DD87ED2722FB.jpeg

3397427C-2E1A-4184-ABF7-A2E6B4A1190F.jpeg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BradM said:

It will interchange with the cooler seat on my HPS...The inside will be glassed and braced; ran fillets tonight in preparation for glass. The outside is yet to be determined. This is 1” thick Coosa Board, Bluewater 26, it’s ridiculously strong for my application, which is what I wanted. I may simply fare the outside with poly and gel coat it to match or fare with epoxy and hit it with a 2 stage paint. Gel coat will be easier to touch up (for me) should I need to in the future. Yes, I plan to radius all the edges and have a seat cushion made to match the factory one. Rather than non-skid the top, I ordered gray SeaDek, which will be here tomorrow. I leave the cushion at home unless my wife is with me. 

Very cool idea!  Sounds like you've been following some DIY boat building threads over on Microskiff dot com ☺️

7 hours ago, geeviam said:

Very cool idea!  Sounds like you've been following some DIY boat building threads over on Microskiff dot com ☺️

I wish! I was banned from there years ago. Not sure why, but I do miss that place. I don't think I ever commented there or shared anything, but I must of offended someone. 

17 minutes ago, BradM said:

I wish! I was banned from there years ago. Not sure why, but I do miss that place. I don't think I ever commented there or shared anything, but I must of offended someone. 

I would contact the forum administrator and ask to be unblocked.  That forum is a great resource to keep in your bookmarks.  However, it is very unfiltered (R rated language and political B*S* back and forth chatter at times).  The Chris Morejohn related skiff build threads are awesome!

• Like 1

Well, discovered that my lower unit was leaking fluid and found it full of saltwater.  Not good, especially since I have run the boat quite a bit at some higher RPM lately.  Took her in to have it resealed, upper and lower seals (both were shot).   Have been cringing waiting to hear how hard it was to get apart, and what would be found of the gears.   

It was apparently a job to get the bearing carrier housing apart, but with some heating and patience it finally separated.    Gears are in great shape, no metal fragments, no damage.  whew!   

Should have her back in a week or so, doing some other minor work as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whichwaysup said:

Well, discovered that my lower unit was leaking fluid and found it full of saltwater.  Not good, especially since I have run the boat quite a bit at some higher RPM lately.  Took her in to have it resealed, upper and lower seals (both were shot).   Have been cringing waiting to hear how hard it was to get apart, and what would be found of the gears.   

It was apparently a job to get the bearing carrier housing apart, but with some heating and patience it finally separated.    Gears are in great shape, no metal fragments, no damage.  whew!   

Should have her back in a week or so, doing some other minor work as well.

Good news! Glad you found out sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, smooth move said:

put it in the fiberglass shop to have the bottom redone. 18 yrs of reef rash caught up to us, also had the drain plug bushing redone. it came loose when i pulled the plug. in 18 yrs, i've probably only pulled the plug a dozen or so times.

What type hull do you have, where did you redo it at? Wont be long for me to get my bottom done so to speak. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Shallowminded6 said:

What type hull do you have, where did you redo it at? Wont be long for me to get my bottom done so to speak. 

i have a 02 2200V. the guys doing the work are in Dickinson, Tx. called Matrix Glass. they are a father/son team that worked for another shop that did my front deck. they did a great job on the front deck and i feel sure will do just as good this time.

done 3.jpg

done 2.jpg

• Like 2

More projects to my 05 2000V. Decided to change out original bilge and livewell pump that squealed allot last season.  Changed the whole configuration for livewell  since I couldn't find model number or any identifying numbers on pump cartridge upgraded from  500-800 gph. Rabbit hole got deeper when I decided to raise up gatevalve, pre-filter livewell setup for plumbing ease and access. I did this because too much trouble accessing all hose clamps and pump cleanouts. Required adding another 3/4" threaded nipple with union (brass, then reconnecting. PITA through the 8" access panel, but done with minimal blood loss and lots of cursing! Still waiting fir spring and hopefully marina/ramps resurrecting from Covid. 

20200419_160921.jpg

20200419_124620.jpg

20200419_160846.jpg

• Like 1

More projects to my 05 2000V. Decided to change out original bilge and livewell pump that squealed allot last season.  Changed the whole configuration for livewell  since I couldn't find model number or any identifying numbers on pump cartridge upgraded from  500-800 gph. Rabbit hole got deeper when I decided to raise up gatevalve, pre-filter livewell setup for plumbing ease and access. I did this because too much trouble accessing all hose clamps and pump cleanouts. Required adding another 3/4" threaded nipple with union (brass, then reconnecting. PITA through the 8" access panel, but done with minimal blood loss and lots of cursing! Still waiting fir spring and hopefully marina/ramps resurrecting from Covid. 

I finally dealt with this problem that stayed in my mind every time I went fishing.  2008 Yamaha FTL90. I feel really lucky that I didn't need to pull the motor to get at these but I was prepared to do it if I had to.  I kept squirting these in a 50/50 solution of ATF and acetone over the last week and took a quick first shot at hammering on a tight fitting 12 point socket.  It just barely worked!  I was just about to lose grip on the second one when it dawned on me to put a pipe wrench on the bracket and give it a twist.  It finally busted the second one loose.  that ATF/acetone mix is good stuff.  It got full penetration to the bottom of the threads...and, boy, there wasn't much left of those nuts!

I then filed and wire brushed the end of that cast bracket as much as possible and gave it some matching paint.

I've got replacement studs but they were a fine pitch 10mm I wasn't expecting.  I had to order nuts for them that I'll have later this week to put it all back together.

49796654293_b039e17127_z.jpg

49797136896_0a8edf643e_z.jpg

49797136756_f98e031d4b_z.jpg

49796591023_a5cb011389_z.jpg

• Like 1

Nothing to boat as I have not made the new purchase yet.  however, I am getting boat truck ready. entire new front-end going in:

inner/outer wheel bearings, front coil springs, inner/outer tie-rods, pittman arm, stabilizer links and bushings, upper/lower control arm bushing, upper/lower ball joints, swaybar bushings and front and rear shocks. Attached are a mixture of pictures from this weekends work.  All new A/C Delco parts plus Gabriel Shocks going back in.  Should feel and steer like a new truck.  Rear is getting helper springs for the heavier load of a 21'/22' hull.

AJCS2805 (2).JPG

EBTJ6828_(2).JPG

FAAR6196_(2).JPG

YIIW3290_(2).JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RacerxV6 said:

yes, been a long time coming....This work is getting harder and harder.  Ain't as young as I used to be ....😂

I know the feeling.  Going into day 2 of that same work on my truck, I was questioning my decision to not just write a check to someone else and pick it up in a week 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1