What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

Finished cleaning the interior and repacked all the compartments. Now I know what is there…it’s organized. I get busy fishing and keep the boat/motor clean and maintained, but I lose track of the stuff in my storage areas. So periodically I have to empty the compartments out to take inventory and clean them. Now I’m ready to go get ‘em.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, searing said:

Installed grab handles on each side of the console with inner backing plates to give a nervous passenger something extra to hold onto when it's choppy. :)

Dennis

IMG_4232[1].JPG

Hahahaha!   Those nervous nellies!   C'mon, enjoy the flight!   Put your hands in the air and show how tough you are on this next one!

(don't mind me as I clutch this nice, secure steering wheel, though)

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, HenrysCreek said:

Well, started cleaning out the compartments and hatch wells with the intent of beginning a compound wax tomorrow. Somehow I got sidetracked along the way!  There are exactly 58 screws, 58 5/16 screw and 58 lock washers connecting the hatches. Time to replace them all!  😎

EFA35F53-EBFE-4834-B062-BC7E23A49242.jpeg

Wow, those are in rough condition!   Surprising to see.  Were they staining the gelcoat?

Yep, they are stained up pretty good. The hinges are actually in nice shape. A little “Works” and Magic Eraser will clean them and the area up nicely in prep for compounding. 

Im now trying to figure out what to do about the yellowing of the inside of the compartments and hatches. Don’t want to go crazy with gel coating, as it’s a beater boat. But I’ve got all winter to tackle the project, so who knows. 😎

435F4BF0-002F-419F-ABCF-53D1B4DC9542.jpeg

5A7F85F6-B92E-49F7-9AAA-06134CF34EED.jpeg

• Like 1

When I installed my Garmin Livescope system, I discovered that my cheesegrater had apparently met its demise somewhere in the river, unbeknownst to me.  This immediately explained where that 2-3 mph loss of speed mysteriously came from.  I have been running without it for a couple of months because I was dreading the job of replacing it.  The holes were all wallowed out and there was a lot of sealant to be dealt with.  Plus, I had to fabricate one and wasnt sure what material to go with.  

I finally decided to tackle the issue today using the same pvc trim material I had used for my transducer mount.  Had to cut it thinner, then shape it, but it turned out well and I think it will last.  

1FBC56B1-E0B9-48E3-848A-8E762994C7DC.jpeg

53609EDA-CE50-42BE-BEEA-753878EFC0C9.jpeg

81E47AB9-1C27-489F-B324-F02A2740B033.jpeg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

When I installed my Garmin Livescope system, I discovered that my cheesegrater had apparently met its demise somewhere in the river, unbeknownst to me.  This immediately explained where that 2-3 mph loss of speed mysteriously came from.  I have been running without it for a couple of months because I was dreading the job of replacing it.  The holes were all wallowed out and there was a lot of sealant to be dealt with.  Plus, I had to fabricate one and wasnt sure what material to go with.  

I finally decided to tackle the issue today using the same pvc trim material I had used for my transducer mount.  Had to cut it thinner, then shape it, but it turned out well and I think it will last.  

1FBC56B1-E0B9-48E3-848A-8E762994C7DC.jpeg

53609EDA-CE50-42BE-BEEA-753878EFC0C9.jpeg

81E47AB9-1C27-489F-B324-F02A2740B033.jpeg

What’s the thickness on that and did you bevel the edges?  Might try to tackle mine this evening!

It was roughly a 1/4 inch thick i think. This sounds strange but a piece of regular corrugated cardboard is a really good guide for thickness.  You can go a bit thicker but not much.  I beveled the INSIDE of the edges to account for the concave edges.  Recessed screw heads would have been better but there isnt much material to countersink into.  

• Like 2

DYI dash panel back lighting. Removed the original microfiber optic light that never worked after a month.

Replaced with a flexible LED light strip that I connected to the existing wire from the original optic fiber light. Threaded the new light strip through the bottom of the wires under all the toggle switches.  Had to play with the positioning to get the most optimal lighting.  Also provides light inside the center console.

931B0756-A064-43A9-B3E3-5AA747F1CBD8.jpeg

C8DF53E2-A93B-41B7-B8F1-30472A7DF34E.jpeg

19C590AD-FCFA-4AEB-B57D-68A869320425.jpeg

6728A8F9-94F1-428B-BEC4-2EFDE2F587D8.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fish5 said:

That looks easy enough, did you just weave the led strip around the toggles, are you laying upside down on the cooler for in front of the console. What is the cup holder mounted to the ttop bar?

I weaved the light strip through the looping of the wires under the toggle switches.  the strip is actually positioned sideways one strip facing inward and one facing outward. I would say it is sitting about  2 inches under the panel. I tried to weave through the bases of toggles bit it was to bright and illuminated old tape marks from removed foil tape that held original light.  I played with the positioning for a bit to get a good even illumination.

Yes, the cup holder is attached to the T-top , I got it from Cuda Customs

14 hours ago, Shindig said:

I weaved the light strip through the looping of the wires under the toggle switches.  the strip is actually positioned sideways one strip facing inward and one facing outward. I would say it is sitting about  2 inches under the panel. I tried to weave through the bases of toggles bit it was to bright and illuminated old tape marks from removed foil tape that held original light.  I played with the positioning for a bit to get a good even illumination.

Yes, the cup holder is attached to the T-top , I got it from Cuda Customs

Those cup holders are fantastic, btw.   I have 2 on my boat now on the rod holders and have 2 more on order that will go on the poling platform.  

Fished the first tournament of our year for 2022-23.  Noticed that when I start the motor for the first couple times it smells like rubber burning.  I have a feeling I burnt the impeller a while back and now I am smelling it every time.  It also takes about 5-10 seconds for the pee stream to start.  So I order a new impeller kit today for my VF115XA. 

1 hour ago, RacerxV6 said:

Fished the first tournament of our year for 2022-23.  Noticed that when I start the motor for the first couple times it smells like rubber burning.  I have a feeling I burnt the impeller a while back and now I am smelling it every time.  It also takes about 5-10 seconds for the pee stream to start.  So I order a new impeller kit today for my VF115XA. 

Good idea RacerxV6.  You shouldn't risk it by waiting.  Just do it.

Just me, but I put a light/thin coating of Super Lube® Silicone Lubricating Grease with Syncolon® (PTFE) all over the rubber impeller before I install it inside the housing.  It preserves the rubber and helps keep it from hardening over time.

0000161_silicone-lubricating-grease-with-syncolon-ptfe-92003.jpeg

10 hours ago, geeviam said:

Just me, but I put a light/thin coating of Super Lube® Silicone Lubricating Grease with Syncolon® (PTFE) all over the rubber impeller before I install it inside the housing.  It preserves the rubber and helps keep it from hardening over time.

I used to inject CRC 6-56 multipurpose marine lubricant into the ear muffs when I flushed my engine after use. It always kept my impeller nice and new and probably helped with internal corrosion. It's hard to do on my new Suzuki, but I do spray the powerhead liberally after every few trips on the water.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, geeviam said:

Thanks Geeviam for the idea, will follow your example.

• Like 1