What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

New decals, hat and shirt arrived from MBG this week.  Decals will go on tomorrow.
Ordered new seat cushion - about a 3 week turnaround is what I’ve been told.

Oh, put some rods on the boat!  Still cold up here (Virginia), but the Specks and Reds are running.  Hope to get out in the next few days.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HenrysCreek said:

New decals, hat and shirt arrived from MBG this week.  Decals will go on tomorrow.
Ordered new seat cushion - about a 3 week turnaround is what I’ve been told.

Oh, put some rods on the boat!  Still cold up here (Virginia), but the Specks and Reds are running.  Hope to get out in the next few days.

Nice. I watch a YouTube guy up that way (Southern Reels).  You guys seem to have a good fishery!

• Thanks 1

Wind continues to kick up in Virginia.  Going to try to get out for some fishing early am, but doubtful with SCA announced for the next few days.  Today removed older Lowrance HDS and transducers and installed new Simrad GO9 and 3n1 transducer.  Looks great!  Removing/Repulling cables was much easier than expected.  Appears to be a LOT of room in the cable tube.  😀

Tommorow:  Replacing 6Y5 gauge and putting new decals on the boat.

Pics will be posted tomorrow.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HenrysCreek said:

Wind continues to kick up in Virginia.  Going to try to get out for some fishing early am, but doubtful with SCA announced for the next few days.  Today removed older Lowrance HDS and transducers and installed new Simrad GO9 and 3n1 transducer.  Looks great!  Removing/Repulling cables was much easier than expected.  Appears to be a LOT of room in the cable tube.  😀

Tommorow:  Replacing 6Y5 gauge and putting new decals on the boat.

Pics will be posted tomorrow.

Let us know how you do.  1fish2fish are slaying trout up your way.  That MA laughs at wind

7 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Let us know how you do.  1fish2fish are slaying trout up your way.  That MA laughs at wind

Fishing was a bust. Couldn’t stay away from the wind. Went deep into some creeks. But no grass for the Specks/Drums and way too shallow and no holes to hold anything. 

Decals, drink holders and main battery charger installed today. 

8CC38C2C-04CE-4570-842D-05E963073218.jpeg

DA56F815-EBB7-4BB3-BDDA-CC59FCE5CA39.jpeg

CCB242BF-F3BF-42C4-A47A-55601A4BBB91.jpeg

1B002BB4-B0CD-484F-8D47-93BFF9D68B65.jpeg

38E44319-36FD-4807-B1E7-B4B1A8E7E416.jpeg

• Like 3

Got her back from her mani/pedi.   100 hr service, trim/tilt resealed, and fixed that nasty gel coat gash from the dock the other day.   

I don’t think I have ever owned a motor with a trim/tilt unit that didn’t leak.   Not sure what I will do without that guy wrenching sound of air infused hydraulic fluid running under pressure.   

don’t think I will miss it!

• Like 1

Been away for a while, Last outing was not an enjoyable one as the house battery died after just an hour on the water and was unable to start the motor.  Luckily I was not far from the dock and had plenty of trolling power to get me home.  A 45 minute ride on 10 across the lake with 25-30 mph winds.  She has since been docked and charged.  Have a tourney on Clarks Hill tomorrow.  Supposed to be lower 40's to upper 50's with winds averaging around 10-12 gusting to 25.  Oh the joys of fishing in early Spring in South Carolina....Spent the last week in Washington State visiting my daughter and got to fish the Snohomish River.  Didn't get bit but what a beautiful state...

42 minutes ago, RacerxV6 said:

Do you have a drawing on that setup Lapitup?

Basically you run a Positive cable from the Positive of one trolling motor battery to the #2 position of the selector switch. You will need a selector switch with a Common and one and two position.

Notice the Positive from Trolling Battery #2 to the #2 position on the selector switch. 

Also notice the additional Negative from Trolling Battery #2 to a Negative buss bar or the Cranking battery Negative.

Backup House .jpg

• Like 2

Swapped out the old OEM light with a new Lumitec anchor light. I had a broken Lumitec 36” in the garage from an old project. Cut it down and used some clear epoxy to make it 14”. I mounted it on the side of the platform instead of up top for several reasons. First, there were about 6 old holes where the previous lights were mounted. This allowed me to cover them up. Second, didn’t want another trip hazard up top. 

The only downside is that it folds perpendicular to the boat, but it’ll be in the upright position 99% of the time, so I  decided to keep it this way. 

Nice to have a brighter light on those early morning runs!

19944880-C18E-4068-BB4A-36BEBB717338.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/8/2022 at 5:52 PM, jh141 said:

Basically you run a Positive cable from the Positive of one trolling motor battery to the #2 position of the selector switch. You will need a selector switch with a Common and one and two position.

Notice the Positive from Trolling Battery #2 to the #2 position on the selector switch. 

Also notice the additional Negative from Trolling Battery #2 to a Negative buss bar or the Cranking battery Negative.

Backup House .jpg

Thank you JH141,  I need to purchase a new switch as mine only has 1 selection.

• Like 1

Took boat and cover to Sunspirit Canvas and Upholstery  to have her lengthen the cover to fit over the trolling motor and also add 4 air vents to allow the air to circulate.  She is going to reinforce the tip of the cover with a heavy matt vinyl underneath so that the TM doesn't wear it out and it tear prematurely.  Also adding a pole vent.  Mine has the pole but not the vent.  All in all $125.   Have seen her work and she does amazing work.  

https://g.page/sunspirit-canvas-upholstery?share

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RacerxV6 said:

Took boat and cover to Sunspirit Canvas and Upholstery  to have her lengthen the cover to fit over the trolling motor and also add 4 air vents to allow the air to circulate.  She is going to reinforce the tip of the cover with a heavy matt vinyl underneath so that the TM doesn't wear it out and it tear prematurely.  Also adding a pole vent.  Mine has the pole but not the vent.  All in all $125.   Have seen her work and she does amazing work.  

https://g.page/sunspirit-canvas-upholstery?share

A good cover is hard to beat!!  

Decided to start tackling the oxidation that has been bugging me.  I did this with my last (1987) MA and attacked it one section a morning for nearly a month. The outcome was amazing, the input was a challenge, it was so far gone I had to start with wet sanding.  

This boat is in much better shape, so I can pick up with just the 3m finesse it II then wax.  Hit the bow first since that seems to absorb the most tannin, but was surprised at how big a difference just the polish made.  Will hit it with wax next, then work on the rest of the hull over time.  

One question:  I am using an orbital hook and loop sander with wool pads. It works great, but the pads stop sticking to the sander after a few sections.  I just replaced the hook and loop pad on the sander, so I know the issue is the pads.   Any idea if there is a way to get the pads to stick again?   The have a lot of life in them on the business end, but if they don’t stick to the sander, they are useless.  I burned through two just doing the bow.  FFBA939C-FCBD-4F90-8D20-435785DC5764.thumb.jpeg.ce7fcfbd87dc32740c5e67f38567b428.jpeg

FA8817DA-C950-4226-B34C-F72654683BF9.jpeg

8CBCA9DE-B329-473B-9A5B-88A024E56DD4.jpeg

C213E375-9AE1-46B1-9C1C-613C8223D969.jpeg

• Like 2

I have used 3M hook and loop strips bought at Lowe’s to get them to stick again. If the Velcro will stick to you backing bad you can use a little glue to attach strips to the back of the pad. Once the strips set on the pad you can likely get more uses. 

second option buy a cheep variable speed buffer at harbor freight and there buff pads to fit the same. You will get much quicker results out of a non orbital buffer than what you are using now. 

B3AF9ECF-AA77-472E-ACF3-68711D5897A6.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

That’s great info.  I am surprised a buffer would be faster and better than an orbital sander, but I will try anything!  What model do you use?

Yeah, an orbital is not what you want to use. Get a polisher or buffer and make sure it has a variable speed option. I bought the DeWalt DWP849 and it can flat out polish some paint or gelcoat.

• Thanks 1