What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

WWU, I don't know how the average person can afford tires anymore.  I went with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S 265/70/16.  I am amazed at what a tire cost these days....sorry I couldn't get you a set at a better price. They just recently shutdown our discontinnued site purchases as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RacerxV6 said:

WWU, I don't know how the average person can afford tires anymore.  I went with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S 265/70/16.  I am amazed at what a tire cost these days....sorry I couldn't get you a set at a better price. They just recently shutdown our discontinnued site purchases as well.

You helped a great deal with advice!

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2022 at 9:41 AM, RacerxV6 said:

got the new shoes put on the truck yesterday.

Before.jpeg

After.jpeg

Went from 245/70/16 to 265/70/16....Much better look.  Also did spare.

My buddy always says, "spend your money where you spend your time and where you enjoy your time", get a good bed to sleep, get good tires for your truck and boat trailer :)

dc

• Like 3

Also spent a little time trying to figure out how to get the cable to run for the ducer.  This is what I came up with.  It worked great until I hit spoklock and it started doing it's crazy turning and started to pull on the cable to tight.  Still got a little bit of work to do but it is almost there.  Also pressure washed the deck came out like brand new....that non-skip on this deck tends to hold dirt and grime really well to wear a brush just doesn't cut it.  I forgot to take a pic but will later today and repost...

32 minutes ago, RacerxV6 said:

Also spent a little time trying to figure out how to get the cable to run for the ducer.  This is what I came up with.  It worked great until I hit spoklock and it started doing it's crazy turning and started to pull on the cable to tight. 

Spot Lock changes everything when trying to deal with cable management.  Seems like nothing works well.  I've left lots of slack at the top near the head for when it starts circling the wagon but have had the excess slack get hung on the head and create other issues.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rubble said:

Spot Lock changes everything when trying to deal with cable management.  Seems like nothing works well.  I've left lots of slack at the top near the head for when it starts circling the wagon but have had the excess slack get hung on the head and create other issues.  

Rubble, you are so correct in that statement...i may just try and not use it if I can and as a last resort leave excess at the head

Did the regular service to the engine last week and all new calipers.  Brakes wouldn't bleed right so i ordered a new actuator from Ameritrail.  All the same model numbers but the outer sleeve was 1/8" shorter than the old one.  Had to use the old one.  Could of save a few bucks by ordering in the inner only. Still need to bleed the brakes again doing that today.    

• Like 2

On 5/4/2022 at 10:23 AM, rubble said:

Rubble, I have an idea that I am going to try for the cabling issue on the Riptides when you have a ducer hanging off the bow of the boat.  I am going to get the measurement of the shaft diameter and locate a bearing that will fit on the shaft and then attach the cable to the outer section of the bearing, I believe that will allow the motor to function as normal and also allow the cable to sit stationary when slight pressure is applied by the rotation of the shaft.  Once I have this mocked up I will post everything...

53 minutes ago, RacerxV6 said:

Rubble, I have an idea that I am going to try for the cabling issue on the Riptides when you have a ducer hanging off the bow of the boat.  I am going to get the measurement of the shaft diameter and locate a bearing that will fit on the shaft and then attach the cable to the outer section of the bearing, I believe that will allow the motor to function as normal and also allow the cable to sit stationary when slight pressure is applied by the rotation of the shaft.  Once I have this mocked up I will post everything...

Curious to see how that works.  I have a little different setup with my 360 as I have an additional bracket that holds the 360 away from the TM shaft.  The guy quit making them or at least he doesn't promote making them any more.  Was about the best thing going for that setup but still imperfect when it came to cabling.  

During the tourny this past Saturday my TM broke free from the deck again.  So I had to insert two 1/4" rivnuts "aluminum" in order to get it fastened back down.  I may have to fabricate a bracket that gets welded to the deck and then gives me the ability to allow me to through bolt it to the bracket.  When they mounted it originally they just drilled and tapped the deck.  The current method has proved to be not the best solution because if I bump something or the shaft gets hung on something it tends to exert enough pressure to pull them out.  

I also ran out of juice on the house battery again this weekend.  I checked to see what they installed for a house battery and it is only a GRP24.  I am going to upgrade to a GRP31DP AGM.  Just need to decide on manufacturer...

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, RacerxV6 said:

Installed new house battery. GRP31  replaced GRP24

Nice!  I did almost the same.  I replaced a $1,000 GRP31 Lithium Ion starting battery with a $109 GRP27 Marine starting battery from AutoZone.  Using the LiFePO4 battery as a starting battery did not play well with the Suzuki 90 alternator.  Higher than needed voltage and interference caused problems with electronics.  The new battery added some weight but works better and starts better.  Made some k-starboard hdpe pieces to secure the smaller sized battery in place.

Starting_Batt2.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, geeviam said:

Nice!  I did almost the same.  I replaced a $1,000 GRP31 Lithium Ion starting battery with a $109 GRP27 Marine starting battery from AutoZone.  Using the LiFePO4 battery as a starting battery did not play well with the Suzuki 90 alternator.  Higher than needed voltage and interference caused problems with electronics.  The new battery added some weight but works better and starts better.  Made some k-starboard hdpe pieces to secure the smaller sized battery in place.

Starting_Batt2.jpg

Gary, is that some sort negative bus bar attached right on the battery?

Those are very slick.  Keeps the cabling super clean obviously looking at your area!!! 

So I have a question for you all.  Since I currently only have a 2 bank charger and it is feeding the trolling batteries.  I usually charge the house battery with a stand alone Everstart Marine/RV deep cycle charger.  My new battery is an AGM, Question I have is can I continue to use this charger until I upgrade to the 3 bank charger that has options for the different types of batteries?  The charger is probably 10-15 years old, if I am guessing correctly.  

Everstart Charger.jfif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

Question I have is can I continue to use this charger until I upgrade to the 3 bank charger that has options for the different types of batteries?  The charger is probably 10-15 years old, if I am guessing correctly.  

I would check the X2 Power website.  They should have a list of chargers that are certified/approved for use with your new battery.  Just me, but I wouldn't use anything but an approved charger on the new battery.  Or at least ask tech support if your current charger is ok to use.

• Like 1